• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My nostalgia build - CPU problems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What is your motherboard's BIOS version? It needs to be at least 0703 to support the QX6850. Have you manually set the CPU multiplier to 9 in BIOS? Have you installed the latest nForce chipset drivers for your operating system?

I am guessing you bought this on the used market. Sadly, it might just be worn out. I agree that it is a cool and fun CPU, and I hope you get it going.

What is your motherboard's BIOS version? It needs to be at least 0703 to support the QX6850. Have you manually set the CPU multiplier to 9 in BIOS? Have you installed the latest nForce chipset drivers for your operating system?

I am guessing you bought this on the used market. Sadly, it might just be worn out. I agree that it is a cool and fun CPU, and I hope you get it going.

I got the latest Flashed, 1406. Yep, multiplier is at 9.
Well, I can not even install Windows before the computer restarts in the installation process. So no, I have not installed the latest drivers at all. It does not work as I do not get into Windows with the QX.

Yes it is used. I talk to the seller and he says:
"Hello

I know you replaced the QX6850 with an E6300 upgrade. The difference between the two CPUs is dual-core and quad-core. 1066/1333MHZ. The problem of restarting after upgrading the 4-core CPU may be that your system driver is not compatible with QX6850. Or there are other problems that have not been resolved. Because once you can start the PC. Prove that the CPU is no problem.

You can try to reload a new system. Use QX6850 to reload the system and drivers. In addition, QX6850 supports Intel P45+ICH10R chipset motherboard. Your motherboard chipset is nVIDIA nForce650i SLI. There may be incompatibility issues.

thanks"

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Yes it is. Starting to wonder if it is my motherboard that is not working properly.

I merged like threads. :)

It could very well be the mobo... who knows. You can get into the BIOS fine, right? But it's when you load Windows? Have you tried to load a new OS on a different HDD? You confirmed the CPU is in the compatibility list, right?

I merged like threads. :)

It could very well be the mobo... who knows. You can get into the BIOS fine, right? But it's when you load Windows? Have you tried to load a new OS on a different HDD? You confirmed the CPU is in the compatibility list, right?

Sorry....

Yes, BIOS is working fine. I have flashed and tested all the BIOS from ASUS page.
I got my old HDD with Win XP installed, i can test that with QX.
Yes, QX6850 is working on the motherboard. Here is a list showing all compatible motherboard CPUs. https://www.asus.com/supportonly/p5ne_sli/HelpDesk_CPU/

Using an existing install of XP likely won't do it, lol. If the installation failed in the middle of a windows install saying it can't find the drive.... it could be the drive... try a different drive...format it and try installing w10.

Using an existing install of XP likely won't do it, lol. If the installation failed in the middle of a windows install saying it can't find the drive.... it could be the drive... try a different drive...format it and try installing w10.
I got a new 240gb SSD that i will use Win 10 on. With the old CPU its no problem. With the QX its rebbots in the middle of the install. If i install Win 10 with the old CPU then swap to the QX its continusly will reboots once in Win, if its even gets that far befor the logon screen.

I got an old HDD with old XP on, just like i used the PC before, long time ago. I can test that HDD and boot with my old CPU and then swap to QX and se whats happens.

Started the XP hard drive. With the old CPU, it worked like it should and copied pictures and stuff.
Switched to the QX. Could run for safe 5min, but then the whole computer froze and had to make a hard turnoff. Is "the same symptom" as with Win 10, but could use the computer longer with Win XP.

Now i got the Q9400 Installed. Works nice! Tested Bench and Stress CPU in CPU-Z, Cinebench R20 and got it up and running for several hous now.

Interesting, the Q9400 isnt supported by the motheboard...

Well ok, thats cool. What is the fastest processor i can have on my motherboard then?
And is it worth to make the 771-mod? Is the X5460 worth moding to this?

Well ok... Its ended up with a trade of t motherboard. I now got a Asus P5Q Pro. I have tested the QX6850 and it works fine. I also got a Q9650 with the motherboard and 8Gb of ram 1066mhz.

The Q9650 is now running stable on 3600mhz both Cinebench R15 and R20. :)

Now im after a QX9770 and 16Gb 1200mhz of ram. Haha

I was testing some OC yesterday.
485fsb = 4365mhz stable but little hot. About 72° when running Cinebench.

CPU-Z bench: 388,6 - 1536,8
Cinebench R15: 461
Cinebench R20: 1031

Back