• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Opteron 165!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PWatterson

I just received my Opteron 165 today from Tankguys! I am so excited. Unfortunately, it is my Christmas present, so my parents are not allowing me to do anything with it until Christmas. (well, look, but that's it). Anyway, once it gets up and running, I will revive this thread with my Oc'ing results. I am hoping for 2600MHz or so. The reason I started this thread now is I want to know if I got a good stepping.

OAS165ADA6CD
CCBWE 0534MPMW
131606AK50200​

darksparkz

Open it and replace it with the CPU you have now and start testing.

Many people have gotten varied results with different steppings, so it's still a tad too early to tell which is the best. But looking at yours, I'd assume that it can hit 2.7ghz-2.9ghz or so, maybe higher if you disprove me.

OP
PWatterson

PWatterson

Yea, that's just about what I want to do. LOL. But yea, it's not that bad, since I do not get to see any other parts. And no, I can't just look when they are not home, they are in my dad's office at work. :-/

Last edited:
OP
PWatterson

PWatterson

darksparkz said:
Open it and replace it with the CPU you have now and start testing.

Many people have gotten varied results with different steppings, so it's still a tad too early to tell which is the best. But looking at yours, I'd assume that it can hit 2.7ghz-2.9ghz or so, maybe higher if you disprove me.

I would if I could, but I am using the system in my sig. D*** socket A.

Last edited:

chris64

Disabled
Awesome, I remember the days when my parents bought me gifts and I had to wait for them, for some reason I think I liked the gift more when I finally got it. but in this case if it overclocks bad that would kinda spoil the fun!!!!

Well im sure it should be a screamer being that it came from santa. I hear he handpicks the best overclockers.

ziggo0

I'd so be switching it if i had a rig to test it in. There is no way they could tell the difference between a Vence/SD an an Opteron. SUREEE the labels are different on the IHS but i dont think many parents would pay that much attention..congrats man :D

Mooyo

Lol sorry to hear you can't get at it just this moment, but just think about Xmas. What better way to start the day then building a new rig and have it running that night?

OP
PWatterson

PWatterson

Mooyo said:
Lol sorry to hear you can't get at it just this moment, but just think about Xmas. What better way to start the day then building a new rig and have it running that night?

Yea, that's what they have been telling me. :rolleyes:

But it is a good point. If I didn't wait, I would have no presents to look forward to on Xmas day (this rig is by far my only one).

So, this is generally regarded as a good stepping?

Mooyo

Lol you may think it's stupid and I probably would too in your shoes, but it does sound kinda fun to do. Might have to dismantle mine for the heck of it :D

And as far as I know me thinks that is a good stepping, but I could be wrong and a large factor is luck when it comes to OCing.

OP
PWatterson

PWatterson

chris64 said:
Well im sure it should be a screamer being that it came from santa. I hear he handpicks the best overclockers.

Let's hope so. :santa2: I just can't contain my excitement, though. I mean look at the rig in my sig!

And two 7800GTs to boot.

custom90gt

Sounds like an awsome xmas present for you, that chip will be I crazy jump from your duron. I wished my parents knew words like "opteron" "7800gt" stuff like that, lol.

Trypt

So, is there a thread with overclocks of the 165s that people have?

That 2.6ghz you guys are talking about, is that max with stock voltage, or total max with water and over-voltage?

I would love to do 250x9 with my 165 on both cores, but it has to be completely stable, and I want to do it with stock voltage and cooling, if possible. I do have great air-flow in my new case, so that will be a bonus. Eventually I'll want to push it further, and get better cooling, but only after I am sure this chip can actually go higher. So, will it do 2250ghz with stock voltage/cooling with good air-flow in the case? The stock cooler looks pretty heavy duty anyhow, and the fan is an 70mm so it should provide sufficient cooling to keep it under 50C.

I haven't done any testing, so not sure how high my Ultra-D will go in FSB, but I know my ram won't hit 250, maybe 240. Any idea what kind of dividers are available on the DFI Ultra-D? I'd like to run the ram as high as possible, I am sure it'll do 240 (pc3200 OCZ platinum or gold edition, not sure which one yet, going to get tomorrow), so if I run the fsb at 250, I'd like to run a multiplier as close to 1:1 as possible (something like 10:9 would be nice to run the ram at 225.)

Oh man, lots to learn.

OP
PWatterson

PWatterson

Trypt said:
So, is there a thread with overclocks of the 165s that people have?...

...Oh man, lots to learn.

Yes check out this section of the forum. I believe Super Nade started a thread for all Opterons, but there are at least two or three 165 oc's in there.

EDIT: There are five opty 165 oc's listed on his first post in the box.

Yes, there is a lot to learn. I have never really overclocked due to the fact that my current motherboard has no PCI/AGP lock. I actually learned that one the hard way... :bang head

kovboi

Trypt said:
That 2.6ghz you guys are talking about, is that max with stock voltage, or total max with water and over-voltage?
my 165 only gets stable at 2.6 with 1.425v (air cooling), but won't do 2.7 with up to 1.5v (haven't tried more than that). at stock voltage (1.33) it is stable up to 2484 mhz (9x276).