• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My overclocking report (updated as needed)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ikpthegame

So I decided to start my oc tonight. First I went straight to 4.3ghz and was rock solid. Right now I'm sitting at 4.5ghz with a 1.4vcore. My temps after 30 min of prime95 are 55c, but my boards not reading socket temps, just says 25c for all in hwmonitor. I will update as I move farther up the scale. Oh and there was no temp increase from 4.3 to 4.5.
Specs:
Fx-6300
Crosshair v formula-z
Ninja 4 cooler
Ram @ 1866
Evga 1300w g2

Also big shout out to mandrake for sending me a backplate so I could build my system. I ordered on but it's coming from over seas and wasn't supposed to be here till March 14th.

Last edited:
That's pretty good progress ikpthegame, funny that HWMonitor isn't showing the socket temp. Are you using the free version or the trial on the pro version. I seem to remember pro wasn't showing the same info. If all else fails AMD OD will show you your thermal headroom.

That's pretty good progress ikpthegame, funny that HWMonitor isn't showing the socket temp. Are you using the free version or the trial on the pro version. I seem to remember pro wasn't showing the same info. If all else fails AMD OD will show you your thermal headroom.
And/or make sure you don't have "core unlocking" enabled. Post some screen shots of Cpu-z, cpu, spd and memory tabs so we can have a looksy!

I let prime95 run overnight and I peeked at 61c. So I guess I don't got too much room to play with.

Since I can't seem to remember, how do I make a screen shot a image?

There is more than one way to do it but I use Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories. Launch it and adjust the frame to fit the image you are trying to capture. We don't want to see your whole desktop. Save the image file to disk and then retrieve/attach it using the built-in form tool. Access that tool by clicking on Go Advanced at the bottom right corner of any new post window. The rest should be obvious.

There is more than one way to do it but I use Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories. Launch it and adjust the frame to fit the image you are trying to capture. We don't want to see your whole desktop. Save the image file to disk and then retrieve/attach it using the built-in form tool. Access that tool by clicking on Go Advanced at the bottom right corner of any new post window. The rest should be obvious.
This, or, if you only want the active/on top item, use alt+ prt scn. That way when you paste, you only have what you wanted... no cropping needed unless you want to capture more than the 'on top' application.

I'll try to get some screen shots tomorrow, had a little issue tonight. Whenever I'd play a game, my video card would just stop working or cause the game to crash after a while. Well I decided to watch temps and it was spiking at like 81c. That's with a r9 290 with a flashed bios. I guess the flashed bios caused it to run hot and that crappie stock cooler wasn't up to the task. I switched out the cooler for the aftermarket one I got with the card and damn I'm down to 41c now. The cooler is supposed to use 2 120mm fans but I can only use 1 due to my cases hd rack in the way.

I know it was fine but it was causing me to crash. As soon as I put the new cooler on it hasn't crashed since. Maybe something else the cooler contacts wast getting too hot.

Or the new cooler is doing a better job of circulating air across the VRM section.

ok heres a couple screen shots. The first is what you asked for mandrake, and the second shows that my vcore jumps up to 1.4 no matter what I set it to when its got load on it. Why would it do that? And those temps on load are only after a few seconds. screenshotidle.jpg screenshotload.jpg

Ok figured out my vcore issue. Now running at a 1.344vcore @4.5ghz with a temp of 51-53c. Gonna let it run overnight to check stability.

ikp can you add a signature to your profile like I have below that way our lazy arses don't have to scroll to the 1st post to see what's in the rig, please. :D Voltage jumping under load is likely the Cpu LLc being on auto, I find for daily usage Ultra High is best on my CHV though every setup is different. I'm going to assume you already figured that out from the above post. Post back how it does at those settings, 1.34 v sounds a bit low for 4.5 on a 6300 but you may have a good chip :shrug:

So 1.344vcore wasn't enough to keep it solid, but 1.38 was. So right now I'm sitting at 4.5ghz with a vcore of 1.38, seems pretty good to me. My max core temp was 55C so there is still room to go up from here. Now on to making a sig for you to have my specs.

Back