• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My processor isn't all the way down in socket!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingo

I just finished putting the heatsink on my processor, now I look from the side and I can see the pins of the cpu, like they aren't even all the way in the socket. Is this normal??????????

Chris

no the CPU should be flush with the socket you might of damaged the CPU. If i were you i would VERY carefully try take of the heatsink and re-seat the CPU although the damage may already of been done :eek:

OP
gingo

gingo

I took it out and pushed it down a bit while I locked it, its in better, but there is still a place where you can see a little bit of the pins......... a tiny bit. There were NO bent pins....

CrystalMethod

Senior Band Wagon Jumper
More likely the socket of the mother board was manufactured badly. Sometimes they slip through quality control. Something you can try is to take the heatsink off again, open the ZIF lever, and push the CPU down into the socket. The pins should be all in so you waon't have to worry about them bending. While still holding the CPU in place wiht one hand, close the ZIF lever.

Daemonfly

My P4 1.6A went in pretty tight... kinda "snapped" in. Like said above, it should be flush to the socket.

Robin Hood

My chip didn't want to sit down because of the socket sensor - so I also held it down while I locked it.

Is there a problem if it is not flush !?

How about the Smart Fan II under socket probe?