• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My rig **is** cooling like I though it would!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

a c i d.f l y

Old Temps:
Case: 41-45°C (idle to load)
CPU idle: 45°C
CPU load: 49-51°C

New Temps:
Case: 32-35°C
CPU idle: 40-42°C
CPU Load: 45-46°C

Changes made:
1) Added 35cfm 80mm fan to pci slots, cut out pci holders underneath AGP card and mounted fan as exhaust.
2) Lapped Heatsink.
3) Removed 80-92mm adapter.
4) Removed dust from fins
5) Connected Tornado directly to 'sink with zip-ties.
6) Cleaned off cpu (had old OCZ Ultra II crap all over the cpu.. man did I suck applying the last two times).
7) Did a 10x better job applying Arctic Silver 5.

Time taken: < 2 hours.

Sweet. :thup: :attn:

OP
a c i d.f l y

a c i d.f l y

I don't think it was any one thing, but if there was one thing more than the others, I'd say the custom PCI exhaust... as case temps are hard to change. A significant drop in case temp will cause a significant drop in CPU temp, regardless of the heatsink you're using... so yeah, that one.

-Frank

::EDIT::

HURRAH! FIVE STARS! :D

sagitta85

Now if you can wack off another 10C for your case, that would be sweet....

(looks at his sig) :D

Radical

Your case temp was only 4C cooler than your CPU temp when idling? Does that seem weird to anyone else?

OP
a c i d.f l y

a c i d.f l y

Radical said:
Your case temp was only 4C cooler than your CPU temp when idling? Does that seem weird to anyone else?

Yeah, it was weird to me as well. I'm guessing the temp reader was in a completely uncirculated spot close to the processor.

In any case -- things seem normal now!

I'll take pics as soon as I pick up some AA batteries for the digicam!

-Frank