• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My speakers came today!!!! (or Logitec Z-640 thoughts)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Breadfan

Inactive Moderator
Well, I decided to buy a new set of speakers, even on my limited student budget.

I used to have my system hooked up to a stereo, but I moved it, and I couldn't seem to get a wire that'd hook up to my stereo without signal loss or crappy gain. Even thick speaker wire and lots of solder didn't seem to help...

so, I ended up using a pair of old altec lansing desktop speakers iwth a sub output. (1.99 w/ not power adapter at computer show!) And, I hooked up an old powered sub from an RCA home theater system (the cheesy receiver blew itself up during a kung fu movie).

That setup was ok but started to get on my nerves. I spend LOTS of time at my computer. I am an IT major, so alot of my studying and classwork is done on my computer (which is cool!). And, I like to listen to music alot. So, I just wasn't happy with the audio quality of my setup.

I decided to go ahead and spend some money on speakers and decided on the the Logitech Z-640's. I got them today, and hooked them up, and I must say, DEFINITELY worth my money, even on a tight budget.

The Z-640's are the 5.1 system. Not the THX ones though. You get a center speaker, two front, two backs, and an 8" sub.

The cool thing is that I only have a Hercules Fortissimo II soundcard. Its 4 channel, not a 5.1 card. But, the Z-640's have a neat thing called matrix that uses the front channels to mimic a center channel. Seems to work nicely.

But, the point is, I'm just here to comment on the sound quality and price of these speakers. They cost me 60 dollars plus shipping. However, the sound quality is definitely worth more than 60 dollars.

i'm actually very surprised by their quality. The sub is a good sub, giving deep lows and not much in the way of mid-bass (which I find annoying). And, the satellites give really crips highs...so basically, right outta the box they are EQ'd nice...no overbearing midrange that you get with cheap speakers.

In fact, I must say I was actually surprised by the audio quality. And the loudness. With these, there is no need to hook up to a stereo. A great sounding 5.1 speaker system with good power for 60 bucks...these are a good deal. (the sub has quite a kick to it too...)

As a student, I'm only working 1 day a week now, so as mentioned, money isn't as prevelant as it was. :) So, naturally, I'm more cautious of spending...so I want my bucks to count. I feel they did.

So for anyone looking for speakers, I'll recommend these as a good set for a good price.

:)
Just my 2 cents...
Mike

mook

Registered
I will echo his praise on the Z-640's....great speakers for the price.

Everything he's said is totally accurate.

P.S. Did you turn up your subwoofer level at all? My friend has his cranked all the way down, and it still thunders.

Milkman

Decided to go on everyones word and I gotta say they are sweet, way nicer than my old cambridge soundworks and very reasonably priced:)

-Mike

CircuitBreaker8

Disabled
I have the Logitech Z-560 THX 4.1 and I love em! I used to have the 2.1 logitechs ( z-320 ) and they were good for the price. The reason why those logitechs are made those cheap is because they use a pressured subwoofer. Basicly, there is a 3" "sub" behind that thing you see in front that looks like sub. The small one is faced so the air pressure from the speaker goes through the magnet and pushes that piece in the front. Bascily its doubling the bass, even though its artificial bass, it still sounds great for the price. They dont use this meathod on the 560s or 680s, but they do use 8ohm speakers for some reason?

Maxvla

Milkman said:
Decided to go on everyones word and I gotta say they are sweet, way nicer than my old cambridge soundworks and very reasonably priced:)

-Mike
nice thread necromancy ;)

Sp1k3

i personally own these speakers, i do agree with what bread said about it all. but im thinking of upgrading to the z-680, much better sounding, and much more output and much more bass :) i wish these speakers had much more bass to them but they dont so thats why im considering getting the z-680 total 500 watts is what i need. well it might have to do with my sound card on how the output is, but i dont know. the speakers are currently only running on 3.1 (center, 2 front, and sub) my stupid sound card doesnt support 5.1 :( but what ever. only thing that is holding me back from getting the z-680 is that i really want a new high end p4 to oc. Its eating me alive i just want to spend money! But i made my mind up and i really want to get a new computer.

Peace

Sp1k3

haha, thats creepy, my parents do the same thing. so i just want more bass :p

**add on** one thing i noticed about these speakers is that once you get a little past the half way marker on the center volume control, the quality quickly diminishes. very rapidly, could be my sound card...