• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my spec ok to O/C tbred b 1700+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kasports

i would like to oc to near 2 ghz.
but is my mobo, ram and HS/F good enough??

pls help. as i'm about to buy the xp 1700+

tediber

well your motherboard is really not suitable for overclocking ...... i imagine you'll need to find a way to get higher than 12.5 times multiplier to achieve 2ghz ....... if you get an XP1700+ DLT3C JIUHB .....2 ghz is no problem at all for these .... i've had 4 and all ran 2ghz at default voltage ..... you definitely will need a better mobo if you want 2ghz

treepop

erg that ram might tie your hands to lower speeds...as for the temps you should be able to get 2gHz with 1.5 volts or at most 1.6 and that can easily be cooled with that hs and fan...I would say 50 at full load....so I would get new ram......I don't know about that board but I wouldn't imagine you could take it to 200fsb.......as for multiplier I am almost certain it wont go higher then 12.5.....so I would imagine 12.5x???? will be your best option since I doubt the fsb on that thing is gunna get real high......good luck though....take it to the limit :D

treepop

kasports when you say overclocking bios whats that mean....I mean can you change voltage settings....can you change your mulitpliers....can you change your ram timmings and fsb?....alrighty thanks

Gnufsh

The overclocking bios for the K7S5A only lets you change your FSB to a few different values. You might be able to get 150 FSB, and you won't be able to change the multiplier. That gives you a maxium of 11x150 or 1650MHz, the chip your looking at can do that eaisly. You could use soft FSB in windows and change the FSB to 166 giving you 1826, but your ram will probably be past its limits, and there are no voltage adjustments for it. You could mod your board to change the multiplier if you don't mind soldering and having all sorts of dip switches hanging off your board. I recoment the ECS forums at ocworkbench.com for k7s5a info. Bottom line: this is not an overclocking board. It lacks features (which can be overcome by innvation), it has terrible power circuitry (voltages fluctuate, it draws far more power then it should), and it generally uses the cheapest parts possible.

treepop

kasports...might I direct you to another mobo?....if you are interested and are stapped for cash might I suggest the msi k7n2-L....amazing board and you can find it for around $80.....if msi aint your thing then try a soltek frn2.....this board even hangs with the amzing abit nf7 and costs around $80 also......so as you can see you can get some SAWEEEEEEEEEEEEET! boards for less then a C-note

OP
K

kasports

thx for all the replies and sorry for this late reply

i think i'll just get the DDR400 ram to support my oc, and use softFSB.

but just one thing.. the oc bios I got can do 200fsb.. the choices of fsb are in big steps. the next one down is 166..

so if the bios doesn't work, i'll try softfsb.

can someone tell me more about softfsb? will it work on any mobo? what are the procedures? any disadvantages using softfsb?

altec

polka dot ninja
I am sure there are some disadvantages of Softfsb. Most of those third-party overclocking utilities are not very relaible, and are flakey at best. If you are going to upgrade something, I would work on your board first. It will cost a little less, and as the guys before me said you can get a great board for under $100. The Abit NF7-S Revision 2 is probably the best board on the market right now and you can pick it up for $120 at www.excaliberpc.com. If you dont have that kind of cash though you can spring for the EPoX, which is a very reliable board also. Make sure if you upgrade your mobo you get something with the nForce2 chipset. This is by far the best/most stable overclocking chipset right now, and it has a lot of really nice features like PCI/AGP lock, etc...

hitechjb1

Yes, nforce2 motherboard.

The CPU clock frequency, FSB frequency, memory bus frequency, memory ras/cas timing, PCI/AGP lock can be adjusted and optimized independently.

As a result, it allows you to find out the max speed of the CPU, FSB, memory separately, so you know which is the limiting factor and so can take subsequent action accordingly.

For mb like the NF7-S rev 2, the range for Vcore, Vdimm, Vdd, Vagp are large so you don't have to do Vmod yourself, if needed for max oc.

Further, get the rev 2 which has the new stepping for the nforce2 chipset (A1) and it officially supports the 200 MHz FSB, so you know at least it can go to 200 MHz. 220-230 MHz is possible if PC3500 CAS2 memory are used.