• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my ssd will be here tomorrow hopefully

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, those write speeds are correct... But honestly.. they are terrible... Why would anyone want a drive that writes so slow? My old 1TB WD writes at double what the intel does. I say if you are going to go with an SSD you might as well go with one that gives you better overall performance... For the same money you could bought a normal HDD and it would give you better "overall" performance.... I recommend the Corsair P128. I got just got it and it's amazing writes hit between 187-190.

Yeah, those write speeds are correct... But honestly.. they are terrible... Why would anyone want a drive that writes so slow? My old 1TB WD writes at double what the intel does. I say if you are going to go with an SSD you might as well go with one that gives you better overall performance... For the same money you could bought a normal HDD and it would give you better "overall" performance.... I recommend the Corsair P128. I got just got it and it's amazing writes hit between 187-190.
yea just going on NG prices for about $15-$25 more he could have gotten the OCZ agility or vertex. although it is 30gb vs 40gb, just a real let down IMO from such a drive at that price.

It's an OS drive mainly, where the concentration of writes are 4k. Intel still has the best random 4k read/write speeds when compared to Indilinx/Samsung controllers. How much sequential data do you figure you would actually write on a 40GB drive, where you would notice? If you did write 10GB to the Intel 40GB and the WD 1TB, and then try to do something else that requires the drive to respond (say, opening/minimizing/maximizing programs), the Intel will respond much quicker to those commands.

yea just going on NG prices for about $15-$25 more he could have gotten the OCZ agility or vertex. although it is 30gb vs 40gb, just a real let down IMO from such a drive at that price.

That's the next best option for SSD... But these 30 to 40GB drives a real joke... My programs don't even fit on them. It's like someone giving me sports car with no leg room and half gallon of gas...lmao

It's an OS drive mainly, where the concentration of writes are 4k. Intel still has the best random 4k read/write speeds when compared to Indilinx/Samsung controllers. How much sequential data do you figure you would actually write on a 40GB drive, where you would notice? If you did write 10GB to the Intel 40GB and the WD 1TB, and then try to do something else that requires the drive to respond (say, opening/minimizing/maximizing programs), the Intel will respond much quicker to those commands.

Wait, so the OS uses 4K commands only? I didn't know this. interesting.

Wait, so the OS uses 4K commands only? I didn't know this. interesting.

Not "only". Normal Windows operations are mostly random 4k read/writes, this is why Intel has concentrated so much on this and not on the sequential writes. They have a more balanced controller in that sense. Indilinx can boast something like 170MB/sec writes sequentially but 17MB/sec random 4k writes. Intel (on their regular 80/160GB G2 drives) can boast 70MB/sec sequential and roughly 40MB/sec random 4k writes.

Look at the chart and where the 40GB benchmarks compared to others

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1111/7/

and also

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1111/9/

Compare with the Vertex in this review

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/954/8/

Miltz said:
But these 30 to 40GB drives a real joke... My programs don't even fit on them. It's like someone giving me sports car with no leg room and half gallon of gas...lmao

That's why they sell drives with higher capacities ;) It's not the only drive on the market, is it? You have other options. 40GB fits my photography and office applications with Windows7 x64 just fine. I don't keep personal files on my laptop so that's a non-issue for myself. I don't game with my laptop either. I know plenty of people that would be happy with a 40GB fast and silent OS drive.

Last edited:
Got to remember its not about the data transfer. Its about the access time of the data already there .

i went form 13.2ms to .1ms huge fn differance
and about space i have all this installed and still have 14gb left on my ssd
i so have a 1tb raid 5 setup as well

installedprograms.png

Not "only". Normal Windows operations are mostly random 4k read/writes, this is why Intel has concentrated so much on this and not on the sequential writes. They have a more balanced controller in that sense. Indilinx can boast something like 170MB/sec writes sequentially but 17MB/sec random 4k writes. Intel (on their regular 80/160GB G2 drives) can boast 70MB/sec sequential and roughly 40MB/sec random 4k writes.

Look at the chart and where the 40GB benchmarks compared to others

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1111/7/

and also

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1111/9/

Compare with the Vertex in this review

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/954/8/

That's why they sell drives with higher capacities ;) It's not the only drive on the market, is it? You have other options. 40GB fits my photography and office applications with Windows7 x64 just fine. I don't keep personal files on my laptop so that's a non-issue for myself. I don't game with my laptop either. I know plenty of people that would be happy with a 40GB fast and silent OS drive.

This is Excellent info and I thank you for the education... So my Corsair P128 is slower even though it's fast? is that what you're trying to tell me? (j/k)
Well I'm an event photographer and I shoot a lot of RAW photographs, and I shoot for personal stuff too... I can download 40GB worth of pictures in a week. And I want to work on them on my SSD, not have to copy them to another drive, so for me 128GB gives me a big enough buffer, so I won't speed all weekend moving files from one drive to another...

Got to remember its not about the data transfer. Its about the access time of the data already there .

i went form 13.2ms to .1ms huge fn differance
and about space i have all this installed and still have 14gb left on my ssd
i so have a 1tb raid 5 setup as well

installedprograms.png

How fast is your raid 5 setup? Also, is it loud?

This is Excellent info and I thank you for the education... So my Corsair P128 is slower even though it's fast? is that what you're trying to tell me? (j/k)
Well I'm an event photographer and I shoot a lot of RAW photographs, and I shoot for personal stuff too... I can download 40GB worth of pictures in a week. And I want to work on them on my SSD, not have to copy them to another drive, so for me 128GB gives me a big enough buffer, so I won't speed all weekend moving files from one drive to another...

The Samsung controller is behind the indilinx and intel in terms of performance. Not a bad choice, depends on the price paid for it.

40GB is about right, I used to shoot that much in a good week, though i'm considerably lower now. I never found an HDD to be the biggest bottleneck when working on RAW files though, more the processor/RAM when working in Photoshop. Doesn't hurt to run it from the SSD though.

Back