• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My system and Half Life 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

duddy11

Registered
Hi All. I was wandering if the pc Im building will be able to run half life 2 with no lag. smooooth. ;). here are my prefs.

Processor: Intel Pentium 4/ 2.6C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail

Video Card: SAPPHIRE RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 256MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP -OEM

Motherboard: Asus SiS 655 Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU, Model "P4SDX" -RETAIL

Hard Drive: Seagate 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model ST3120026A, OEM

Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 184 Pin 256MB DDR PC-2100 - OEM- (2)

I left some things out (Mouse accessories, and other accesories) and the price comes to a whopping $934.98. I should hope it runs half life 2 smoothely :)

12am

Preliminary hl2 benchmarks have shown that the ati cards will perform admirably in hl2, even showing that a 9600Pro is manhandling the geforce fx 5900ultra when running hl2 in full dx9 code. (although recent driver updates from nvidia have closed the gap a little bit ) I'm willing to put a hefty wager in that your comp should have no troubles with hl2 when it is released.

OP
D

duddy11

Registered
this is a stupid question, but, do you think Ill need more cooling? Instead of just fans? Like water cooling or something? If so, where? On the Video card itself or on the proc?

12am

Nah, as long as you have a quality heatsink on your cpu and good case airflow there is no need to add any additional cooling to your video card, unless you plan to do some serious overclocking of the video card, which in my experience is uneccesary with the 9800pro as of now you'll find it is blazing fast at stock speeds. There are a few advantages/disadvantages to watercooling which I will outline briefly here

Pros:
1)With a good water cooling setup you can get lower temps than on air
2)It is practically silent if you can't stand fan noise

Cons:
1)Lower quality watercooling systems cannot compete with high end air cooling
2)The price of quality watercooling components can be quite pricey when compared to high quality air cooling
3)The possibility of water leaking onto your components and destroying them in the process

All in all I would reccomend a Thermalright heatsink for your cpu mated with a 80 or 92mm fan that has a CFM rating of 50 or higher. Throw in at least 1 intake and 1 exhaust fan of 80mm in size or larger and you should be in buisness.

Oh and if you do plan on running that p4 at it's 800mhz frontside bus speed (remember it is a 200 mhz bus speed only quad pumped meaning it's 200mhzx4) you will need to pick up pc3200 ram wich will allow you to run your fsb at 200. Hope you understand that last paragraph as it's quite early in the morn here.

OP
D

duddy11

Registered
Hmm. Ok. The last paragraph was a lil confusing. but, it says its 800 fsb. is that how much it can OC? and my core FSB is 200 mhz? Also, will my p4 still run FAST if its not 800 mhz, sorry, Im not good with this kinda stuff :p lol

12am

Ok I'll try to make it a little easier. Every cpu has what is called a multiplier which when combined with the frontside bus speed gives you the speed of your cpu (in your case the multiplier would be 13, as 13x200=2600) Now, pc 2100 ram only allows you to run 133mhz on the frontside bus, which when coupled with your cpu's multiplier of 13 would equal 1729mhz which would effectively cripple your system. That is why you need pc3200 ram wich is capable of running 200mhz on the frontside bus. Now if your still wondering how it says 800mhz fsb on your cpu it works like this.

Think of the frontside bus as a highway, at 200mhz it would be like a singe lane highway, now what intel has done is that it has turned the single lane highway into a 4 lane highway, therefore turning the 200mhz into 800mhz.

Now if your seriously wanting to stick with the pc2100 ram you should look for a p4 with the 533mhz fsb as all it's doing is running 133mhz on the frontside bus and then multiplying it by 4 giving you 533mhz. I hope this clears things up for you. If you have any further questions feel free to ask me, or send me a private message, oh and welcome to the forums.

Oh I almost forgot, to add to the confusion make sure that if you are going with the 800mhz fsb p4 that you get a motherboard that is also capable of running at 200mhz fsb as not all are.

OP
D

duddy11

Registered
Ic, so thats where that Hyperthreading stuff comes in? Ill just swich my ram. no biggy :)

12am

No hyperthreading is something completely diffrent, it emulates a second cpu in your system so that you can get a performance boost when more than 1 thread is bieng run in your cpu. Lets take a very simplified example like this.

You have 2 programs running, program a and program b. On a non hyperthreading cpu when your running program a and you do something in program b it will have to wait for program a to finish running it's cycle before it will begin working on program b, wheras on a hyperthreading cpu it is able to perform both at the same time, like I said above therefore emulating a system that has 2 cpus in it. That is a very basic description of hyperthreading, I suggest that if you want to learn more about it you cruise on down to intel's webpage and read up on it there.

Keep in mind software has to be specifically written to support hyperthreading or else it won't work, and to date only a few buisness apps support hyperthreading.

OP
D

duddy11

Registered
I cant find any pc3200 ram on newegg (maybe im ont looking right :( ) but could you find some ram (preferably 512 mb of ram total) under 80 dollars? The type i need is Dual Channel DDR400/333/266/200(Non-ECC) Max 4GB. thanks man. :p

OP
D

duddy11

Registered
Thanks, you guys have been very helpful. If it werent for you guys I would be buying a cripples system. lol. thanks guys. you are the best!

Aktunka

Instead of skimping on your Ram you would be better off going with the 128MB 9800 Pro card instead of the 256MB model and use all that money you save on some more and better ram. Just my opinion.