• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my temps/cpu suck

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KfistoRok

alright. here i go.. i got this xp2100 a couple months ago. it's agoia. ever since i got it, i have had a temp prob. first with the stock heatsink and fan my pc would not start. asus cop would stop me from frying it.

so i looked around in search of the best heat sink on the market. enter the slk800. so i got that beast for 50 bucks and was able to setup my rig.

however my temp was at 48C idle and i had crash probs. so i set my chip to 1.3ghz to eliminate crashing.

next i got artic alumina. That brought the temps down only a little. about 3C. and i tried applying it 3 different times. all the same result, but i eventually could run at 1.8ghz most of the time.

so today i put on a thermal pad and I got a couple of degrees lower. still having probs. attempting cpu arithmatic in sandra i cannot do. i overheat and shutdown.

i have one 80mm smart fan2 for intake and two vantec stealths for exhaust. also a hdd cooler in the top bay for exhaust.

with mbm my idle temp at 1.8ghz is about 60C.
in bios and pcprobe it is around 46C

about 3 times i have had the error system failed cpu test for no reason. 2 of them at boot and one during windows.

who thinks i just have a bad setup and who thinks this chip is garbage?
:mad:

If bios and pcprobe are reporting your temps as 46c then thats not too bad. Your running bios 1011 so that temp is a reading from the diode. MBM is probably wrong and needs the offset adjusted.

How many memory sticks are you using? Try putting one in the slot farthest from the cpu. Reset your bios and use the default settings for memory (optimal). I think maybe you should switch one of your exhaust fans to intake and try positive pressure to see what happens. Also, is your fan on the HS blowing toward the HS?

Try the above and post what happens.

Good Luck
Al

Hmmm, the slk800 is a top air cooler ......

1) Maybe the HSF is working fine, and its the ambient temp of the air or case. Can you give us temps for the air and case? If you can't get good temp readings .... maybe you can run with your case open, and fan pointing at the side of the case for awhile? If you have no temp issues, then it indicates an air flow issue ....

2) See the slk800 thread by peewee for some case cooling suggestions, if that turns out to be the problem ....

3) You got cooler temps with a :eek: themal pad :eek: ??? These usually blow, and hurt cooling. Hmmm..... Could your HSF not be making good contact with the CPU??

Look carefully all around the CPU / HSF. Make sure the HSF isn't touching any capacitors, isn't somehow hitting anything else ...
I had a volcano7+ that would not fit on a P4 motherboard, it would just barely hit the socket on the MB, and not make full contact with the CPU.

4) barring all the above ...... no really, a well fit slk800 should cool you down fine with good case temps.....

You might try "lapping" the heatsink, look up articles here and tips and ticks on lapping .....

thanks for the suggestions/input.

maximouse:
i agree that i need to offset mbm a little. i can try moving that mem stick tomorrow. i'm about to hit the hay right now, but if i switch one of the fans around won't that just be recirculating the hot air that my psu and other exhaust fan pushed out? also what is the point of moving the mem to the 3rd slot? trying to get it to a cooler region, where not as much hot air from my cpu is blowing against it?
yep my fan is blowing on my hs.

none1:
i have experimented with my side panel off and a floor fan blowing on it and only get a couple degrees lower. nothing vastly different.
yea i know a better temp with a thermal pad is abnormal but honest to god it's got better with it.
i know i made good contact, b/c i checked each time i put the hs on.

KfistoRok said:
thanks for the suggestions/input.

maximouse:
i agree that i need to offset mbm a little. i can try moving that mem stick tomorrow. i'm about to hit the hay right now, but if i switch one of the fans around won't that just be recirculating the hot air that my psu and other exhaust fan pushed out? also what is the point of moving the mem to the 3rd slot? trying to get it to a cooler region, where not as much hot air from my cpu is blowing against it?
yep my fan is blowing on my hs.

Well, It seems like you have more fans blowing out air than bringing cooler air in. Some people have more success with the reverse. Its just an experiment.:)

You got the memory idea I was thinking:) I have a big AX7 and I moved my stick over to slot 3 for that reason. Also, maybe the stick is not making good contact and reseating it may help.

Anything is worth a shot, sometimes it may suprise you when you get a result you really did not expect. :)

Take it easy and start fresh tomorrow:)

Al

Please make sure the following are properly done:

1) make your your hsf is not mounted backwards, the bottom is designed to cover the whole cpu and fit nice and snug over the end of the socket. I have put it on reverse once and it barely reaches the end of the cpu, causing less cooling.

2) Make sure the fan on your heatsink is blowing air onto the heatsink. I have also mounted a fan backwards once and had it sucking air off. When I turned it around, my temps fell from 45c ambient 49c load to 35c ambient and 39c load. Thats a full 10c!!!!!

I am running an AGOIA Y stepping xp1600 thats currently running 1809mhz, so you should deffinetly have better temps.
Good luck and hopefully everything works out, I hope it does.

It disturbs me that you got better temps with the thermal pad rather then AA. This would seem to point to a problem with HS mounting or thermal compound application. Even though you are probably doing everything correctly, there is a seroious issue there that needs to be addressed. Take a closer look. You may want to increase the temp at which your comp auto shuts down, as I've heard Asus boards read high. THen, see if your CPU is giving errors with prime95, or if the stability problems rest elsewhere. Then, take yet another look at your HSF. Why is the thermal pad decreaseing temps more then the AA? (You said Arctic Alumina, right?) One more Q. What are ambient temps and what fan are you using?

Robin Hood: I don't have any different fan to try at the moment. Maybe I should PM 12am and see what he has experienced.

Khman002: The pressure is very tight on the HS.

Krowa 02: I have the knock right against the edge. I'm sure it's on there correct. I can see that it is. My fan is blowing on the HS.

Gnufsh: I applied the AA in different amounts smoothly. Also, I did not apply it with my hands. I used a plastic glove so that no oily residue from my hand would affect it. I have read that AA isn't near as good as AS3. I might have to order some. I get errors with sandra on cpu arithmetic. I don't have prime 95. I don't know the ambient. It's rather chilly in my room most of the time however. Using the smart fan 2.

Maximouse: I moved my memory over to the 3rd slot. I like it farther away from the HS heat. :)

Also, to add a little more info. At 1.8ghz in MBM my cpu diode temp reads 66C on idle. While my cpu temp in asus probe reads 44C. :rolleyes:

If the bios temp is 44C, that is more believeable then a 60C MBM temp. So, I would guess that MBM is reading incorrectly. Also, I've heard that Asus borads read a little high. That would account for most of the high temps. On the other hand, with a SLK-800 you should be getting better temps. I would try to eliminate other portions of the computer as causing errors. I strongly recomend downloading prime95, and testing with that. Sometimes it catches memory errors too. If it returns an error, post it here. I would also recomend memtest86, just to rule out ram giving bad data to the CPU.

KfistoRok said:
Maximouse: I moved my memory over to the 3rd slot. I like it farther away from the HS heat. :)

Also, to add a little more info. At 1.8ghz in MBM my cpu diode temp reads 66C on idle. While my cpu temp in asus probe reads 44C. :rolleyes:

Sometimes MBM needs an offset as it does not read accuratly on all boards. Theres an option in it's setup to +/- a value.

44c sounds about right, not too bad.:)

Al

Back