• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MY TT PS ATX connector cought fire with MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bulk88

I have a Thermaltake Purepower 480W, 550W Peak PS. I was using it with my nforce rev 1 (166fsb official) 8RDA. Anyways I sat down at my computer and it was at the log on screen, and I loged in and shortly instantnly rebooted without a BSOD. My mother did accidently turn up heat to where the room got to 85*F atleast, I thought it was a overclocking thermal thing. I let the room cool and system cool, reboot same problem, CPU is 46*C so it isn't overheating from it's overclock. I replaced the video card (GF2 GTS) (it was making weird wavy paternes then outright failed and rebooteded). And the ram. Nothing changed. The problem did become less frequent (2 mins to 10 mins) when I switched to a different video card (savage 4) (I now know it used less power). Anyways I started to think about the different kinds of crashes. BSOD mean processor problems. Application errors mean memeory. Outright rebbots mean chipset or POWER SUPPLY.

I took my nose sniffing the inside of my computer. Did get some bad sneezing from all the dust. But I smelled something burned. I thought it was the power supply. And when the power good signal goes off, the motherboard instantly reboots. But I thought, it is a TT which is high quality, how can it be? So I tried to disconnect it. I pressed on the latch and the ATX plug didn't come out. And pulled really hard and was like I hope I don't crack the PCB. then I heard something cracking or getting crunched, and the ATX conenctor of the PS came out. And I instantly knew what burned up. Earlier using the onboard voltage checker the 12v rail was kindda high at 12.6v and the 5v was at 4.68v. Also on the ATX conenctor all the red (12v) pin holes were burned. I mean, like charcoal, or wire after a electrical fire. The insulator around each pin was burned almost to the back of te connector, like 2/3s back. The 12v amps listed on the side are 18amps. I was surprised the computer was able to post.

I am shocked. This is my rig in my sig and it is my primary machine.

MY PS load is

24x TDK cd burner
16x Lite-On DVD\
??? DVD+RW burner NEC
200gig Maxtor Diamond Max
200gig WD WD2000AB (5400 RPM 2 mb buffer)
10gig IBM deskstar
2gig WD 22500
3 Thermaltake case fans , the 7*CFM ones.
Floppy
Barton 2500+ running at 2.025v
2 sticks of noname DDR running at 2.77v.

Did I overload my PS or my MB? Who is to blame for this, Epox or Thermaltake? MY epox MB had no warrenty but worked flawless for 10 months now, so did the PS. Should I excute the Thermaltake warrenty? What happened here? Why only the 12v rail on the ATX connector? Should I buy TT PSes in the future?

Oklahoma Wolf

Senior Warranty Validity Sealed Stick Remover
Interesting... the red wires are the 5v rail, btw.

From here I can think of a couple possibilities... either there was a failure somewhere on the board that caused excessive current draw through the 5v lines, or the ATX connector itself failed.

From the voltage you specified you were running the Barton at, I suspect the first possibility is what happened, as it appears that board runs the cpu from the 5v rail (no ATX 12V connector on it that I can see). There may have been a weak mosfet in the vcore regulation circuitry that finally went, causing the excessive current draw, or it could be the current draw just exceeded the board's design limits.

I would measure the PSU with a multimeter if you plan on running it again though, just to be safe.

Did I overload my PS or my MB? Who is to blame for this, Epox or Thermaltake? MY epox MB had no warrenty but worked flawless for 10 months now, so did the PS. Should I excute the Thermaltake warrenty? What happened here? Why only the 12v rail on the ATX connector? Should I buy TT PSes in the future?

I would replace the Epox, and use the TT warranty if the PSU connector is damaged at all. In the future, I would go with Fortron/Sparkle or Antec; not because of this problem (Sirtec made units aren't that bad for reliability), but because Fortron and Antec are a little better value by default.

Last edited: