• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Ultimate Budget Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have a 1/2" piece of plywood under my rig, just a hair larger, in both dimensions, than the footprint of my case. Works wonders for airflow. It also helps sliding it out to mess with cables. :thup:

No I am not dead set on the 275r. I actually bought it took it home opened it and took it right back lol. I'm thinking something from Fractal or NZXT. I had my eye on the phanteks evolv x for a while but I am less and less concerned with a case every day that goes by. Mine is ugly but what's coming thru the monitor isn't and right now that's what I care about. I keep catching myself looking at the x570 Taichi and the 38-3900x, or checking prices on a 9900k and have to reel myself back in LOL. I went thru this before in 2016. I had the gtx 1080 in a 4.5ghz 2600k build, 16gb ddr3. Got the 6700k, oc it to 4.7 with some ddr4. I noticed nothing. I think my average framerate went up 4-8 fps. Right now with a "I have no time to fool around because I've been working 6 days a week" super quick oc of 4.8 @ 1.265v 8600k I know there really isn't much more to gain whatsoever in gaming. I feel like a 9900k and an 8600k clock for clock with a 1080ti at 1440p should yield about the same results. That being said if you know of a case that'll increase my framerate let me know and I'll run out and grab it.

I have a 1/2" piece of plywood under my rig, just a hair larger, in both dimensions, than the footprint of my case. Works wonders for airflow. It also helps sliding it out to mess with cables.
I do this (well, a cut piece of shelving but same idea) with all my computers that sit on carpeting and/or the basement floor. For those on carpet, yes it lets air in underneath. But also, for those in the basement, it protects them from when the washing machine's hot water hose breaks, spewing hot water all over the place, flooding the entire basement, including under the walls into the den and computer room while the kids are in the den watching TV with the volume turned up so they could hear it over that funny noise coming from the laundry room they were too lazy to go see what it was! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :bang head :bang head :censored: :censored:

I do this (well, a cut piece of shelving but same idea) with all my computers that sit on carpeting and/or the basement floor. For those on carpet, yes it lets air in underneath. But also, for those in the basement, it protects them from when the washing machine's hot water hose breaks, spewing hot water all over the place, flooding the entire basement, including under the walls into the den and computer room while the kids are in the den watching TV with the volume turned up so they could hear it over that funny noise coming from the laundry room they were too lazy to go see what it was! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :bang head :bang head :censored: :censored:

Ah, the wonders of parenthood.

Yeah, well both those kids now have kids of their own. So I get to sit back and laugh as I remind them of those "wonders" that they now are going through with their kids. lol

Damn it I knew this would happen. Although it's not needed, I am buying an i9 9900k in the morning brand new in the box for $350. I can't pass it up, also I am picking up a Fractal Define s2 for my new case. Birthday is at the end of the month and I am treating myself LOL

Well it's no longer a budget build but it still fits the theme. I just got another amazing deal. I just purchased a brand new unopened i9 9900k for 320$. I almost can't even believe it. I mean granted that's all they should be selling for anyway but they aren't and I absolutely could not turn it down.

I am afraid this is going to light a fire I can't put out lol. I am buying the Fractal Design Define S2 and building a custom loop for my cpu/gpu and I can't wait to spend a bunch of money that I absolutely do not need to spend. Happy :bday: to me!!!!

9900k4.JPG
9900k2.JPG
9900k1.JPG

If you're going full custom might as well kiss your budget goodbye. If you want budget just do a CLC. Have fun, it's totally worth it, at least for fun factor if not performance per $ :)

Ya I know. It's not that I can't afford it I just wasn't going to buy new, didn't see the point. Only got the i9 because I couldn't pass up the price. Hell I may sell it and make a few bucks off it. Already got an offer for 385$. I found a new 9700k for 290$ and I'm considering selling the i9 for 385 and grabbing the i7 for 290 and being in it for 225 out of pocket. I kinda feel better about being in a 9700k for 225 than i do a 9900k for 320. 95$ just for h/t doesnt seem all that important to me tbh. I think for strictly gaming the 9700k is the best cpu out there. Eight physical cores at 5ghz is all anyone ever needs. Plus I wasn't ready to run out in a hurry to build a loop to cool a 100$ cpu. More of a reason to with 97-9900k. Honestly it's just a thought, I'm the type of person who once I get going on a pc build I get quickly taken over by the enthusiasm and passion. I knew it'd happen. It's a hobby and I really enjoy it. And if I come across something I like for the right price I grab it. I haven't fully made my mind up yet on the loop but I can see where this is taking me and I'm cool with it. So don't be surprised if I have one built before the year is up lol.

Last edited:
Well the story lives on. I sold the i9 for 400 and bought the 9700k for 290. So after 80 profit on the i9 i came out of pocket 210 for a new 9700k. I'm not going to lie though I almost got sick to my stomach when the guy pulled out the money. Iwas like is this really happening? Am I really letting go of a frickn 9900k right now? But I only did it because I had the i7 waiting for me. Put 110$ back in my pocket for no H/T, sure we can do that. I figure if I'm going to put a 500 dollar chip in my rig, it's not going to be the 9900k. But I will probably wake up screaming and sweating for a few nights from terrible i9 nightmares. Anyway, Ordered the Define S2 it will arrive friday. Got a new mouse, the razer mamba elite. Had the Naga Chroma and it was just too big and obnoxious really. Anyway will post pics of the build after the case swap. Might just hold onto the 8600k for a tiny little itx 1080p travel rig I haven't made my mind up yet.

i7 9700k.JPG
9700k.JPG

Back