• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"my voltage is too low!"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
i've seen a lot of posts about people saying that their voltages are too low in their motherboard sensor programs. the one thing that people should remember is not always how your voltages look all the time. it's more or less if your system runs stable. many people will look at their voltage and think that if it isn't right on the dot, there is something wrong. for example, in my system, i used to have a different psu. the voltages on it were pretty normal, all well within tolerance. the only thing was that my computer would constantly restart. it did this for a long time and i couldn't figure out why. i tried a ton of different components thinking that something was bad and causing my restart. after finally figuring that it could be the psu, i replaced it. after that, my system ran rock stable. a while ago i decided to check the voltages in the onboard monitor. i noticed that they were actually all pretty low, except my +5V which was high. they were a lot lower than with my old psu. they are all barely within tolerance, but it really doesn't matter. the thing that you should learn from this is that your onboard sensors don't always tell the story, it is more or less if your computer is stable or not. if you want to be sure that the voltages are low, get a quality meter and measure them yourself. that is a way to ensure that they are fine if you are that worried. i just figured that i would get that out there. just remember, voltages don't matter that much unless you are actually having problems! it's just like the old saying, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" :D just my take on it...

Fred Koser

While there may be some truth to what you're saying, I can't agree with the "if it ain't broke, dont' fix it" mentality being applied to any overclocking situation.
The whole point of tweaking/overclocking, IMO, is trying to "fix" a perfectly good computer to run faster than it was designed to. I just bought an Antec TP 550W PSU and it's voltages read lower than the Enermax 350W that it was supposed to replace. I wasn't really having "problems" with the Enermax, but was hoping the Antec would be more stable at higher core voltages. It isnt' (or at least with my MoBo it isn't), so it's getting RMA'ed.

I guess my point is this:
If I built my computer, installed XP, etc. and then thought "It isn't broke, so I'm going to leave everything alone now" I'd wouldn't be an overclocker. Get me? Nothing wrong with your advice on voltages, as I'm sure it's totally correct, I'm just a little grumpy right now. :)

(and I noticed that you were from Purdue. Me=IU. You coming to LanWar4? Hope to see/meet you there)

gingo

Yeah, i was concerned about my voltages in my new pc with an Antec 430watt true. My system is pretty stable and I dont even worry about the voltages any more.

OP
mbentley

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
Fred Koser said:
While there may be some truth to what you're saying, I can't agree with the "if it ain't broke, dont' fix it" mentality being applied to any overclocking situation.
The whole point of tweaking/overclocking, IMO, is trying to "fix" a perfectly good computer to run faster than it was designed to. I just bought an Antec TP 550W PSU and it's voltages read lower than the Enermax 350W that it was supposed to replace. I wasn't really having "problems" with the Enermax, but was hoping the Antec would be more stable at higher core voltages. It isnt' (or at least with my MoBo it isn't), so it's getting RMA'ed.

If I built my computer, installed XP, etc. and then thought "It isn't broke, so I'm going to leave everything alone now" I'd wouldn't be an overclocker. Get me? Nothing wrong with your advice on voltages, as I'm sure it's totally correct, I'm just a little grumpy right now. :)

(and I noticed that you were from Purdue. Me=IU. You coming to LanWar4? Hope to see/meet you there)

i can definitely agree with you on the o/c'ing stuff... i know exactly what you are talking about. i can just imagine someone changing out their psu because they think it's bad and somehow dropping it on their board and smashing something (that'd be me, with my luck :))

i was just at IU. i went to visit a few of my friends. nice university. a lot different than purdue. thought about lanwar4... might have to think about doing that now...

spazzkid

Fred Koser said:

i think i have to agree on that one. i just bought myself a new hec 475watt psu which has better amp ratings and more stable volts compared to my old enlight 340w, which isnt doing bad at all, but had terrible volt redings :D