• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My w/c setup for under $110.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiTrO bOiE

Look at my setup and tell me if I'm missing something or if I should change something. I'm on a pretty tight budget and this is really close to my max.

Via Aqua 1300 $22.99
SuperCool 4oz. $3.99
T-fitting $0.99
Y-fitting $1.25
ProCore Rad. $23.99
5' ClearFlex $7.50
White Water Poly $49.99
Blue UV Dye $9.99

Total: $108.62

If you're wondering how I'm getting the ProCore so cheap, it's because it's Scratch and Dent. Dtek insures me that it won't hinder performance so I'll take their word for it. So far, how does the setup look. BTW, I'm going to get some clamps from HD and make a custom shroud myself.

Arkangyl

might want 2 more feet of tubing to be safe, just a few dollars more... Also the whitewater comes with a Y fitting... looks good though

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
The only suggestion I'd have is to buy a Quiet One 1200 instead of the Via Aqua. It requires no modding to run dead silent, unlike the Via, and is designed for both submerged and inline usage. I'd probably take it over even a Mag 3 myself. But other than that, your system is a perfect example of spending smarter, but not more, and its surprising that more don't configure systems similarly.

OP
NiTrO bOiE

NiTrO bOiE

I didn't know the WW comes with a y fitting. (didn't read the fine text). I swapped the Y-fitting out for two more feet of clearflex. My total is now $110.20 (.20 over... not bad IMO).

CrashOveride

The via aquai has had problems with inline usage, liek Gautam said. If you do decide to get it I would get a piece of tupperware and use it as a res/place for the pump.

Milkman

Everyone picks on the inline and overall reliability of the Via Aqua 1300, I have run mine inline for over a year now with a relay and never once had any problems, all pumps have problems sooner or later, careful sealing and checking is very important, if any noises or leaks do develop fix them sooner than later, as far as them running hot inline mine is directly in front of my 120mm intake so heat isn't a problem either.

-Milkman

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
Considering that needing to mod it for noise reduction, and failures in inline usage are so common, I'd still stand that paying $3 extra for a pump that's dead silent out of the box and designed for inline usage is well worth it. AFAIK, the Via needs to be modded for inline usage as well. I upgraded from a Maxi-jet 1200 myself, and haven't looked back.

Soja

I ran a impeller modded via for almost a year, half submerged, half inline. I've never heard of a mod needed for inline usage. I've also have a quiet one 1200 that I used to leak test for a couple days. The modded via is actually quieter than the 1200 but both are probably quieter than any case fan. Reliability on the via's seem like a hit and miss though so I'd opt for the 1200. NiTrO bOiE, if you're going to get a via try drsfostersmith. At checkout select "add coupon" and select "tv advertisment." This is what it comes out to for me w/ the 5$ coupon:

Order Subtotal: $11.69
Shipping & Handling: $7.99
$5 Off Total Order - $5.00
Total: $14.68

CrashOveride

Milkman said:
Everyone picks on the inline and overall reliability of the Via Aqua 1300, I have run mine inline for over a year now with a relay and never once had any problems, all pumps have problems sooner or later, careful sealing and checking is very important, if any noises or leaks do develop fix them sooner than later, as far as them running hot inline mine is directly in front of my 120mm intake so heat isn't a problem either.

-Milkman

One good experince doesn't discount all the bad, and visa versa. The pump isn't designed to run inline and it has had problems doing so in the past for LOTS of people...

There was a poll a while ago about pumps if they were still workign or not and stuff... if I remember correcly the Via had the most failures - though that could be due in part to it being recommened TONS at the time as an inline pump esp. (ie. more people had them so more failures might show and show slightly skewed resuslts if you look at just numbers).

gungeek

I'd add hose clamps, 120mm fan. You can make a shroud from a tupperware container for cheap but it doesn't look great if that matters. Figure $5 at least for misc hardware to mount the 120mm fan, telfon tape and any hose barbs needed for a pump.

Look at the drsfostersmith.com website (pet supplies; good people) for a pump. They carry the via 1300 and quiet one 1200; don't forget the $5 coupon to help offset the $8 shipping. Check the classifieds, someone was selling/giving-away a quiet one 1200 a while back. It might still be there.

solo

id invest in a better pump, my via aqua ran for about 3 months before it decided to die

OP
NiTrO bOiE

NiTrO bOiE

Awww crud!!! Dtek isn't doing the 10% off on orders over $100 anymore. (kicks himself for not ordering earlier) It's still under $110 after you take the dye out and get 5 feet instead of 7. I'll bite the bullet and try the via aqua.

=ACID RAIN=

I haven't read through everything so forgive me, but the ViaAqua 1300 is on sale for half price. I just bought two for 26.37 after shipping and the $5.00 TV coupon (LOL thanks for that Soja). At that price I don't give a damn if one fails because I'll have a pre-modded one on the shelf waiting for it to happen. I also have a defective but very usable one on the shelf now, so I've got extra backup since I'll soon have two watercooled systems.