• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Watercooled A64 Rig high temps or just about right??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crash0veride007

I am curious if my new watercooled rig is achiveing it's optimal temps... The rig is also OC'd a bit as you can see in the below pics... Attached are some pics showing the temps of system in an unloaded idle state and in a heavily loaded state. Let me know your opinions and or feedback.

Below is a rundown of my Rig and the link to pics of it......
MOBO: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
CPU: AMD Athlon FX53 Stepping A REV. SH7-CG WC'd by lapped dangerden RBX Artic Silver 5
Memory: OCZ 3200 Platinum Rev2 2x512 2-2-2-5 in slot 1&2
Video Card: Ati Radeon x800 XT PE shim removed & WC'd by lapped D-tek GPU block Artic silver 3 & Lapped ramsinks added to all 8 GDDR3 chips.
HDD: WD Raptor 74Gb on SATA port 3
Sound Card: Soundblaster Audigy 2
Power Supply: Antec Truepower 550
Case: lian-li PC65
Radiator: danger den Double Heater Core cooled by 120mm panaflow
Reservoir: custom res....
Pump: Eheim 1250 @ 318Gph
N-force is cooled by lapped vantec copper orb
Coolant = Distilled water + water wetter + green dye-lite

Pics of my rig can be found @ http://thematrix.homelinux.com/Pix/pix.html
(disregard the temps in the two screenshots the temps in those are with me chilling my rig and water with 15F outside air)

Attachments

• loaded.zip
    154.5 KB · Views: 173
  • unloaded.zip
    115.7 KB · Views: 126
the zips contain screenshots which show system stats OC'd settings and all the temps.... I figured I'd post those as they would be more informative...
guess not tho.. :rolleyes:
however as requested in plain text.....

OC'd Settings
A64 FX53 2.4Ghz @ 2.6Ghz
mem = 2.5-3-3-7
FSB= 253
mult = 10.5x
HTT= 4x
Vmem = 2.85V
Vcore = 5.25V
AGP volts = 2.65V
AGP Freq = 72Mhz

UNLOADED TEMPS
CPU = 36C
SYS = 24C
GPU = 27C

LOADED TEMPS
CPU = 49C
SYS = 27C
GPU= 30C

btw your vcore is 1.5V not 5.25V. Do you have any case fans still? if not it will more likely cause your temps to read a lot higher than they are, because of the no flow. If you do try reseating the waterblock, or reapplying the thermal paste.

The voltage is set @ 1.525 in the MSI CoreCell Bios... the MSI boards have a problem with displaying the right info....
I have 4 80mm case fans and 1 120mm panaflow fan...
two 80mm in front intaking
1 80mm in top exhausting
1 80mm in back exhausting
1 120mm panaflow in side exhausting through H/C

Last edited:
Hehe thanks :)

If you want your temps to go down, pull/push air through your heatercore from the outside of the case, not the inside. This will stir up air on your sysem better AND cool your cpu more. Always try to get outside air through your heatercore, rather than internal air.

With that said, your temps aren't bad really. but higher on the CPU than I would prefer personally....but I'm picky about temps for no good reason... ;)

If 49 degrees is the actual temperature, then the temps are high need to do something, mid 40's or early 40's is what I would aim for, With those temps dont expect to overclock it that much seeing that you have a 130nm CPU.........

so 49C under heavy load is on the high end, for my setup?
If that is on the high end what would you recommend doing to get that temp down?

Last edited:
My suggestions are as follows, just knitpicking you here....."just suggestions"

I see that you are going from 36 degrees to 49, something wrong here??? Maybe the temperatures you are presenting here are false,,,so I suggest you measure them with a probe before you panic and start ripping your system apart. Have you tried MBM5, I dont trust that MSI software.
If all fails then I suggest you

Remount WB again and again until you get better results ( I am sure yu must have done this already)

I dont know if your choice of WB was the best, seeing that you have top notch components there, so you might want to get Cathar's new WB (costs only a few pennies), or even a A64 Swiftech WB, ..seeing that I dont know much about the RBX, I might be wrong about its performance

How much heat is that GPU loop contributing, maybe just have a separate loop for the CPU only............ :cool:

MBM5 reports the same temps as the MSI corecell software... My understanding is that this board simply does not report the right temps... I am not really in a panic over my temps, I was more curious if I was achiving optimal temps or there was still room to improve.

I got the same board. Don't even think of believeing any temp it reports.
If it's prime stable you're ok.
This board reports differences of 5 degrees just between reboots so FORGET IT.

on the same board on air, on a 3000+ winnie from 1.8 up to 2.25 i am at 43-44c with about 76* room on full load on air.. ur temps seem high for water.

Don't trust this MSI thingy...
I'm running a similar rig, TDX, 1048 and a Chevette core and getting quite the same temps as you.

MSI's sensor:
Idle = 34c
Load = 47c

My Sensor reads (on the waterblock):
Idle = 27c
Load = 33c

Suma.

suma what sensor did you get for your tdx block and how did you mount it? That seems much more accurate than the MSI temps.

The temps being reported by this mobo are not to be taken seriously at all. My setup currently tops out at 46c after running prime95 for an hour or so. The water leaving the block is cool. I'm not even running any fans on the external radiator anymore. This is at 270x10 mind you.

so when placing a temp probe on the CPU where is the optimal place put it to get the best readings. I figured the temps on the CPU had to be wrong because my GPU was only reading in the high 20's....... Meaning the GPU should be somewhat linear to the CPU within 5-10 degrees...

my guess on the temp probe placement.. at the top edge of my block between it and the CPU am I correct?

Last edited:
Just forget about it, you think that the probe will be any better?

I am sure it will be lower, if that makes you happy.....

All this talk about this probe reads this and this board is this much off, I get this temp with this stuff......etc etc.......It all needs to stop. Its all meaningless.

Back