• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My watercooling plan so far, any tips?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roger24

wcsetup.bmp

Will the waterpump (MaxiJet MJ1000) get enough cooling from the radiator airflow?
Anything else?

occool

Registered
Looks pretty standard to me. The only thing is that the temps in the case will be a little higher since your fan will blow air from outside to inside going trough radiator. But this is not a big deal. Make sure you have some extra fan on the side of the case :)

mcduffiem

Registered
I'm assuming the fan is exhausting air out of the case, otherwise you'd be blowing hot air into the rest of your case. DO you have any other fans in the case -- intake or exhaust?

I believe you want a near balance between intake and exhaust with slightly more intake.

Iron Hawk

After the air passes through the radiator it usualy will only be 1-2oC more. But another intake fan [on the side] could be helpful.

OP
R

Roger24

It's an Aashima WTY400 miditower.
The intake fan is rated at 235CFM at 24V, so it will be around 98CFM at 10V.
Hmm, would it be better to have it pulling air through the radiator instead? Would it still get fresh air from the outside of the case then, or would it just circulate the air inside the case?
Had I known I would need an extra fan on the side, I would have ordered 2 120mm fans instead of one, I thought the big fan would give enough airflow to cool both the radiator and case.

Iron Hawk

It might, its hard to tell because everyone has diferent cases with diferent setups, you might be fine without it while somone else may not.

When you blow air onto a radiator the air often diflects off of the fins, when pulling air thru the radiator the air usualy flows better. making a duct of a few inches works nicely. Also putting on fan on for blow, and one on for pull, works good too.

occool

Registered
It looks to me like you are pumping more hot air into the case then out. That's way I suggested and extra fan on the side.

OP
R

Roger24

Where on the side should I put it then?
Would a 80mm 32.5CFM fan be suficcient for this job?
Will my CPU temp be much higher without that extra intake fan on the side?

Iron Hawk

cpu tems will go up if warm air is blowing on the heatsink. watercooling doesnt reall run into this problem, but its still a good idea to keep some cool air circulating through your case.