• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My WC temps are a little high dont ya think? Why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlkCamaro55

So here is what RealTemp is telling me...

Idle temps are:

All I have WC'd is the CPU no GPUs...I have this in the rig for cooling:

Swiftech MCP655
Apogee GTZ CPU block
Bay reservoir
HW labs Black Ice SR1 240 radiator
4x yate loon medium fans in push/pull

and thats about it...the radiator is inside the case...

my OC is:

4.207Ghz with a vcore of 1.3250

I have the arctic 5 thermal paste for the block and everything is seated perfectly. There are no bubbles in the system, I have bled it out. So other than that, I dont know what the hell is going on lol. I would really like to know though because its keeping me from obtaining the OC I want.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Idle temps are more or less useless. Part of that is because the temp sensors are pretty inaccurate when they are far from the TJunction Max of the core.

What are load temps? Depending on ambient, I would guess around mid 60's with that vcore.

Dual rad + 4.3Ghz i7 with HT enabled = mediocre temps.

What is your ambient??
How is your rad setup in the case?
Most importantly, what are your LOAD temps as idle temps dont really matter much at all...

The radiator is in a Cooler Master Haf932 case mounted INSIDE the case on top horizontally.

Load temps for LinX for 20 passes and a problem size of 25k go all the way up to

95,97,89,93 !!!....something isnt right...it passes the 20 steps of LinX but those temps are ridiculous!!!

Those temps are BRUTALLY high for that chip and setup. Wow. Something isnt right there...

I would reseat everything again.

I assume the loop is thoroughly bled? With a top mounted rad you could be dealing with a lot of air in the rad. How is the block in terms of contacting the CPU? When you remove it do you have a nice even layer of thin TIM spread out?

Well with 1.383v with my 120.3 rad with 3 low speed yates, I will hit about 86c in LINX (after its heatsoaked). With 1.25v I hit about 71c. Even with my old 120.2 radiator, Id hit about 90c in LINX.

You might need to reseat your cooler, but really, yates arent great. I lowered my temps by about 6-8c from changing out yates to Deltas on my 120.2. Also, a 120.2 isnt great for cooling i7. It will work, but its not the best. Id upgrade to some better fans if you want to keep your 120.2 (theres some Denki Ace's in the cyber deals section I think).

I assume the loop is thoroughly bled? With a top mounted rad you could be dealing with a lot of air in the rad. How is the block in terms of contacting the CPU? When you remove it do you have a nice even layer of thin TIM spread out?

Yes if I remover the block, there is a nice little layer there of TIM...

As for the radiator...I though the same thing with the air in it. But I have throughly made sure that it was free of air...I guess I could try mounting it on the bottom? Id really like to figure out why the temps are this high though with this setup

Well with 1.383v with my 120.3 rad with 3 low speed yates, I will hit about 86c in LINX (after its heatsoaked). With 1.25v I hit about 71c. Even with my old 120.2 radiator, Id hit about 90c in LINX.

You might need to reseat your cooler, but really, yates arent great. I lowered my temps by about 6-8c from changing out yates to Deltas on my 120.2. Also, a 120.2 isnt great for cooling i7. It will work, but its not the best. Id upgrade to some better fans if you want to keep your 120.2 (theres some Denki Ace's in the cyber deals section I think).

I have reseated it quite a few times now... :bang head

Whats your ambient? I have a 24-25c ambient with those temps above. Also, if you are pulling air from your case, the temps may be a bit higher as well, which could be why??

Whats your ambient? I have a 24-25c ambient with those temps above. Also, if you are pulling air from your case, the temps may be a bit higher as well, which could be why??

Its pulling air from outside...the radiator is mounted to the fans and the fans are mounted to the TOP INSIDE case...so air comes from the outside.

I JUST re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re seated the block and put some new paste on it.

Temperatures for LinX 20 passes problem size 25k with an OC of 4.207 and vcore of 1.3250 are now:

Still...if I raise this OC up to lets say 4.3...the vcore required will probably STILL set it off in the 90's :confused:

Hmmm, try reversing the fan flow to pull through your case. Sounds a bit illogical I know, but maybe b/c you like have a positive pressure situation you arent getting enough CFM through the rad.......?

(grasping at straws here)

@ OP - you need a 120.3 to cool your i7.

My i7 @ 4.2Ghz w/ 1.34v on a HK block and feser 120.3..idle around 35c and load around 66c... I definitely recommend a 120.3 for i7. If your not overclocking a 120.2 would be alright.

@ OP - you need a 120.3 to cool your i7.

My i7 @ 4.2Ghz w/ 1.34v on a HK block and feser 120.3..idle around 35c and load around 66c... I definitely recommend a 120.3 for i7. If your not overclocking a 120.2 would be alright.

That's exactly what I was thinking and you just confirmed it. The i7 is a very hot beast when overclocked that high and you just can't shed the heatload efficiently with that BI 240 rad. I would recommend a quality 120.3 rad such as the XSPC RX360, Thermochill PA120.3 or The Feser 360.

EDIT:BTW, Lose the link out of your sig please. Links in sigs aren't allowed here except for Heatware. I didn't make this rule but I do enforce it.

muddocktor

Uh...what's wrong with the MCR320? I was a doubting Thomas myself until I tried it, but almost equal performance for less than half the price. Enough said. One 240mm rad just isn't enough for an overclocked I7. I was using one 2x120 with a 3200+ AMD.

Nothing is wrong with the MCR320, especially for the price. But the others will outperform it, according to testing by skinnee. But if he is on a budget the MCR320 is a great choice.

Back