• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My X2 3800+ sucks...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
dfi is the way to go for overclocking. from what i have experienced form my dfl board i have been really happy. except the fact that my stupid x2 is crapping out on me so i totally gave up on it. all i did was keep it stock and planning on selling it for a dual core opty since they clock higher by a extreme amount

With the fact that you have phase change cooling, you shall be able to get at least 2.8 ghz, IMO. I dunno what's wrong. :eh?:

I got a similar stepping to ya

CDBHE 0533RPMW

Looks like yours was made after me just by some of the other numbers but I reached an OC of 2.5 with 1.525V solid, I can't seem to hit over 2.6 though on Core 1, and core 2 still has room to breath. It really sucks though that it doesn't OC much though :( I would of guess at least 2.8 a min on phase. I mean I got 2.5 with very low temps and I could probley pump another .15V in it before it really started to heat up to my temp threshold (50C max load)

lordkosc said:
I came across this sig on another forum.... He got a great overclock from his 3800x2

3800+ X2 toledo @ 2.65GHz = to 5100+ 265x4x10
MSI neo 4 ultra SLI
1 gig corsair @ PC 4200 T1
4x 36 gig raptor raid 0
2 7800 gt in SLI 502 - 1.23
Enermax SLI PSU duel 12+ rails
extreme Home made Ice water cooling GPU,s

His website...

http://pcgeek2006.tripod.com

They arent all bad, I got 2.7 on air ;) but ive seen several people top out at 2.5, 2.4, 2.6, etc... They arent very vocal though except when they're trying to figure out why it wont go further. I think I earned mine through karma though, after owning a 2.4C that wouldnt even do 3ghz with less than 1.6 vcore.

As for your earliest post concerning your being unable to POST with prior BIOS settings, I know for a fact that my X2 was the same; BIOS settings needed to be plugged in from scratch.
Also, my x2 wouldnt clock over 10x220 at first, so I left it at that over night with stock voltage..you might wanna try a stock vcore msf overnight.
The next day I got 9x275, 9.5x285, but finally settled on 10x250 at 1.36v. Mine will do 2.7 stable but hot... Sandra benches are only off by 1000 MIPS. 22000/21000 (2.7ghz vs 2.5) So I figured why run in the high 40's/low 50's with all the extra vcore when I can run at 2.5 at stock?

Well if you can't get it to do what you want, I hear those new Opteron 'Denmark' dual core processors pwn the X2. Check out those threads in the AMD CPUs section.

that is pretty bad. My X2 3800 easily does 2500mhz at stock voltage... I havent tried for higher yet.

Vulcan said:
that is pretty bad. My X2 3800 easily does 2500mhz at stock voltage... I havent tried for higher yet.

blah! 2500mhz stock voltage, i wish i can get that, im stock @ 2.3ghz stock votlage. that sucks! i was hoping for maybe 3.0ghz on phase, but i don't think thats going to happen

Try loosening up those RAM timings a bit. You're running them pretty tight and that might be affecting your OC.

Make sure that HTT is 4x or 3x. As long as it comes out to = something near 1000 when multiplied by your FSB, you won't lose performance.

Via...well....good luck with that one. Without an nForce I doubt you'll get above 2.4.

DarkPurity said:
Try loosening up those RAM timings a bit. You're running them pretty tight and that might be affecting your OC.

Make sure that HTT is 4x or 3x. As long as it comes out to = something near 1000 when multiplied by your FSB, you won't lose performance.

Via...well....good luck with that one. Without an nForce I doubt you'll get above 2.4.

Yeah, I tried the MSI K8N Neo2 when it forst came out. It was nothing but problems. I RMA'd it and got the A8V- which has been rock-solid. I tried loosening up the RAM timings a bit- didn't help. I'll try loosening them up a little more. My RAM ran fine at 250Mhz, CAS 2, 2-2-5 1T with the old 3500+/A8V.

deception`` said:
No offense, but I'd blame the boards more than the processors. Expecting good clocks out of an ASUS AMD board with a VIA chipset is beyond me. I think that you should look into a better motherboard before you rule out the processor alone.

deception``

your statement perplexes me...I am running an Asus a8v deluxe and a venice 3800+ at 2.7ghz default vcore and have been for several months now without so much as a crash out. This board is without doubt the most overclockable and stable one I have had to date.

I have also read that DFI boards are extremly unstable and a pile of poo.....however I'm also sure that there are lots of DFI users out there that would protest at such a remark

;)

:bang head

The A8V has been 100% stable since I've had it (when it first came out). I think I just got a bum X2. It happens. There is a certain amount of luck involved with overclocking ;-) No biggy, it's fast enough for now. I'm gonna hold out until the next-gen stuff comes out (ie socket M2). That's when I will upgrade everything to PCI-E/DDR2. In my younger and more foolish years, I would upgrade everything as soon as it came out. These past several years, I've been skipping a generation (ie I have a 6800 and am skipping the 7800, had NF3 and am skipping NF4, etc). LOL

Skalaberg1 said:
I have also read that DFI boards are extremly unstable and a pile of poo.....however I'm also sure that there are lots of DFI users out there that would protest at such a remark

;)

Yes yes, it usually gets rather nasty. You should take a look at some of the posts on the matter.... :argue:

Skalaberg1 said:
your statement perplexes me...I am running an Asus a8v deluxe and a venice 3800+ at 2.7ghz default vcore and have been for several months now without so much as a crash out. This board is without doubt the most overclockable and stable one I have had to date.

;)

ASUS boards are terrific, they are stable and I have never had a problem with one....however,

DFI LP's are unarguably built with the finest electronic components, and are the most powerful and overclockable 939 boards with the most robust BIOS's.
As for DFI instability, my experience has been that INEXPERIENCE with the expansive BIOS and ignorance of the RAM (compatability) tables therein is nearly always the cause. This is not a plug and play board. AUTO settings will not suffice in most cases. It is a very sensitive, finely tunable board that requires some research for most.
When one builds a PC, it is up to them to make it work...I'll bet that many of the people you mention who complain of the board's stability simply didn't feel like putting the effort into GETTING it stable....I have seen many posts of that nature on dfi-street.com.

Last edited:
emtp563 said:
After reading the other X2 threads here and many others around the net, I thought for sure I would be able to get at least 2.6Ghz out of a 3800+ X2. Being that I phase-change, I thought 2.9-3Ghz would be achieveable.

The cpu I had in my box last was a 3500+ OC'd to 2.5Ghz. I ran that puppy for many months on end without so much as a hiccup.

The new X2 won't oc worth a §§§§ past 200mhz over stock speed (2.2Ghz). I am extremely disappointed in this chip. The highest vcore I have tried was 1.5v. At first I thought it was my bios. I'm using the Asus A8V Deluxe and flashed to the newest 1015 bios. I then found that 1013 is the first bios that supports X2, but there was some issues with it with E6 revision chips. So I reflased to 1014 (in between, LOL). Still can't get past 2.2Ghz.

When I initially dropped this cpu in the mobo, I kept all the same settings I was running my 3500+ at. The box wouldn't even post with the new cpu running the old 3500+ settings. I know for a fact my memory can handle 250Mhz at CAS2 2-2-5 1T (it has done so for the past 8 months).

My system is as follows:

AMD 3800+ X2
Asus A8V Deluxe bios 1014
1Gb Corsair XMS Pro CAS 2 2-2-5 1T
BFG 6800GT OC
Vapochill (non-lightspeed)

Here is the stepping of the cpu:

cpu.jpg

I've read here that 0526 or 0527 UPBW were excellent steppings in terms of overclocking. Mine appears to be a newer stepping and sucks-***. I am thinking my motherboard is a bit old and may be holding me back- but I don't want to upgrade to a PCI-e board just yet and I'll be hard pressed to find a decent AGP board these days.

Anyone have any reccomendations as how to clock this puppy higher?

This is my system:

system.jpg

I have the same motherboard and same CPU and mine runs at 2.6GHz at 1.5v and 2.7GHz at 1.55v. Used 1014 and 1015 BIOS, both work just the same for me. I think there is a problem with your setup.

deception`` said:
No offense, but I'd blame the boards more than the processors. Expecting good clocks out of an ASUS AMD board with a VIA chipset is beyond me. I think that you should look into a better motherboard before you rule out the processor alone.

deception``

Can't agree with this statement, although there is always a better MB, no matter what you own.

Misfit138 said:
ASUS boards are terrific, they are stable and I have never had a problem with one....however,

DFI LP's are unarguably built with the finest electronic components, and are the most powerful and overclockable 939 boards with the most robust BIOS's.
As for DFI instability, my experience has been that INEXPERIENCE with the expansive BIOS and ignorance of the RAM (compatability) tables therein is nearly always the cause. This is not a plug and play board. AUTO settings will not suffice in most cases. It is a very sensitive, finely tunable board that requires some research for most.
When one builds a PC, it is up to them to make it work...I'll bet that many of the people you mention who complain of the board's stability simply didn't feel like putting the effort into GETTING it stable....I have seen many posts of that nature on dfi-street.com.

I'd say 3 weeks of changing various settings and learning anything we didn't already know in the process, and still ending up with horrific instability after doing everything DFI-Street has to offer = crappy mobo. There are people here who get perfectly stable setups with all the same components on one board as they are using on a terribly unstable board that is THE EXACT SAME MODEL. This includes people using DFI-recommended RAM and equipment.

DarkPurity said:
I'd say 3 weeks of changing various settings and learning anything we didn't already know in the process, and still ending up with horrific instability after doing everything DFI-Street has to offer = crappy mobo.

Well, as long as you say so, and as long as you're comfortable believing that, what can anyone say in response? Sounds like your mind is made up.

Misfit138 said:
Well, as long as you say so, and as long as you're comfortable believing that, what can anyone say in response? Sounds like your mind is made up.

The sudden injection of logic into an illogical trend tends to do that.

Blkout said:
I have the same motherboard and same CPU and mine runs at 2.6GHz at 1.5v and 2.7GHz at 1.55v. Used 1014 and 1015 BIOS, both work just the same for me. I think there is a problem with your setup.

I don't know- I think the memory controller in the chip is just flaky.

Back