• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MythTv setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmh547

I got mint 8 all up and running. Honestly it was easier to get mint installed and setup than it is to do a windows install.

I am working on getting MythTv setup but it keeps hanging on channel 8 (~5%). If I stop the scan and go to watch tv the 7 channels it picked up are extremely fuzzy. I did a quick google and see this is a known problem, I was just wondering if anyone has found a fix.

Tuner is a pvr-150

UnseenMenace

UnseenModerator
Glad you got Mint up and running :D
Remember to enjoy it before that moment comes where you want to throw your computer through a window :D

There is a community for MythTV on Ubuntu (which Mint is based upon) over at Mythuntu which would be worth checking out for advice.

http://www.mythbuntu.org

The last time I played with a pvr150 I followed the advise at the following URL to install it and everything worked as I expected

http://www.simsemporium.com/Stuff/Mythtv+-+PVR-150+-+Ubuntu+-+New+Zealand+HOWTO.html

curtis1552

I'll admit it took me a while to get Myth running.
The channels are fuzzy, it could be two things, the channels aren't receiving properly, or that they aren't displaying properly.
Try using the CLI based programs to determine if the tuner is working properly before you configure MythTV, that usually makes the installation easier.
look at or install ivtv-utils for good programs for this

A few linkies
Hauppauge manufactorer programs and install instrucitons (but for RedHat/SUSE,
MythTV wiki for PVR150

OP
J

jmh547

I did:
Code:
ivtv-tune -c #
mplayer /dev/video0
Where i tried several different channel in place of the #. They all came out alot clearer and all seem to work but when I go in to mythtv's channel scan it hangs but the gui remains responsive after a couple changes

dejo

Senior Moment Senior Member
might be easier to use mythbuntu, and supposedly they have a good support group for it.

OP
J

jmh547

Found a fix here

1.Open terminal and type in mythtv-setup, delete all channels, and then do a fresh scan (once again freezes after only a couple channels)
2. Open a second instance of terminal and type in
Code:
scantv -C /dev/vbi0 -c /dev/video0
(you will need to apt-get scantv), answer the questions

This will kinda force the tuner to keep searching and the mythtv will pickup what it finds. From what i read this I just a recent problem since the last version of mythtv.

*edit*
never mind it gave me a bunch of channels but none work...

Last edited:

curtis1552

might be easier to use mythbuntu, and supposedly they have a good support group for it.

If memory serves me right, (it's been 2 years since I played with MythTV (my ex didn't give me the tuner cards in my boxes of stuff after my divorce) but I think I had better luck with the Mythdora version (fedora based), If you get tired of fiddling with the Ubuntu version try that one.

MRD

I have a PVR-500 (which is just 2 150's on one card, it even recognizes it that way on boot) and I run Gentoo. I first set up my system about 4-5 years ago I think, when ivtv was alpha (maybe beta, but barely) and I had to use the cvs tree to get support for my card. It took me quite some time to get it all working. When I redid myth a year or so ago, it went pretty smoothly and auto-configured nicely in Gentoo.

I am trying to remember all the things I did to get the tuner to work. I can't recall exactly, but I can give you a few things to look at that might be useful. First, check the output of dmesg and look for the section on the pvr-150 card. See if it reports any errors or if it seems to be working correctly. Second, make sure you got the right firmware. There are multiple versions of the card that all have the same labelling, but they have different chips and vary slightly. Gentoo now autodetects this on installation and installs the right firmware, but I'm not sure how Mint does it. Different versions of the firmware are also preferred for different ivtv driver versions. This will be described in the output of dmesg as well.

Look at your video devices (usually something like /dev/v4l/video0 or /dev/video0) and try to do cat /dev/yourdevice > test.mpg. Then try to view this in mplayer. Try this with different channels. The ivtv utils package (not sure the exact name in mint, it is ivtv-utils in Gentoo) contains a channel changer. You manually try different channels and use the cat > test.mpg and mplayer (or your mpg viewer of choice) to test the output.

Finally, there is something that I vaguely remember I had to do to get good quality. I had to adjust some odd settings (some frequency maybe? seemed to specify ntsc locale or something) on the tuner. I don't remember exactly what it was, but I remember it was trial and error. I don't know if it is still done, and I remember not really totally understanding it at the time... and I didn't have to do it a few years ago, so it may be obsolete now. There were instructions on how to do this on the ivtvdriver.org page. In any case, I would check out the wiki at ivtvdriver.org. It has a lot of useful info.

You want to establish first off if this is a myth problem or an ivtv configuration problem. My guess is ivtv. Oh and make sure your kernel is recent and has the right ivtv setup. Shouldn't have to be really recent though as my pvr-500 has been plug-and-play in Gentoo for years.

If it turns out that ivtv is fine and the only problem is myth, there are some other things that can be tried, so post back if that is the case (if all the channels work directly through the CLI and mplayer).