• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

N-Force boards & PSU issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kagee108

You can see from a previous thread in ABIT MOTHERBOARDS that several of us have had to deal with re-boot loop and no boot issues. After hours of research, Windows Tweaks, registry hacks and many hairs pulled out in frustration, the solution all came down to this: replace the PSU.

Now mind you these PSU's were checking out ok. And as in my case, worked fine on another system. For whatever reason, they were not functioning properly when it came to powering off the computer and for some, booting up. Although there were alot of Abit boards involved, my research indicated that this is not limited to Abit brand.

So, IMHO, after researching this issue at several websites, N-Force boards seem to finicky about PSU's. The re-boot loop problem being one of the side effects. So, if you are starting from scratch or upgrading to an N-Force board carefully analyze how you are going to power the system.

I advise any power supply that is A) made by an approved AMD vendor B) make sure that PSU is ATX12V complient C) purchase a 350w minimum PSU made by a vendor with a good reputation.

May your N-Force experience start out on a better footing than mine did. Peace to all.
:cool:

Deathknight

I don't recall reading this other thread but the NF7 is one of the AMD boards that uses the 12v rail to power the cpu. This could account for some PSU issues in a unit that may have worked with a different motherboard. Where the other mobos that were having issues also running the cpu off of the 12v rail?

OP
kagee108

kagee108

Deathknight said:
I don't recall reading this other thread but the NF7 is one of the AMD boards that uses the 12v rail to power the cpu. This could account for some PSU issues in a unit that may have worked with a different motherboard. Where the other mobos that were having issues also running the cpu off of the 12v rail?

I read sooo many posts, I was mainly interested in Abit, but I know that Asus and Epox came up, I don't remember the others if any. They were all N-Force 2 boards. Another thing in common, everyones PSU that was causing problems worked otherwise on a non N-Force board.

Technicaly, I don't have the precise answer as why.

Lithan

Disabled
I've never had this problem. But Im a fortron man myself... so I never have any power problems (Except crappy rails on ***tty refurb mobos.)

Splinter

This might explain the problem I am having with my a7n8x deluxe 2.0 board. Basically, if my comp. is off for more then 10 minutes or so, it will not boot into windows. My dmi screen shows it trying to read from cd instead of hdd-0. The funny thing is that the hdd light comes on up and until the beep, then goes out. So, it seems to be getting some power initially. Anyways, if I turn the comp. off and back on real quick, it will boot and see my hdd. Wierd, huh? The people at Asus told me it was either, overheated cpu, psu, or memory and that it was a stability issue. The people at Antec said that since I had my psu for a year, it is possible that it is over/undervolting. They said it was a 20 percent chance that it was my psu. Kagee, does this sound like the problem you are reporting? Thanks, Tom

OP
kagee108

kagee108

Splinter said:
This might explain the problem I am having with my a7n8x deluxe 2.0 board. Basically, if my comp. is off for more then 10 minutes or so, it will not boot into windows. My dmi screen shows it trying to read from cd instead of hdd-0. The funny thing is that the hdd light comes on up and until the beep, then goes out. So, it seems to be getting some power initially. Anyways, if I turn the comp. off and back on real quick, it will boot and see my hdd. Wierd, huh? The people at Asus told me it was either, overheated cpu, psu, or memory and that it was a stability issue. The people at Antec said that since I had my psu for a year, it is possible that it is over/undervolting. They said it was a 20 percent chance that it was my psu. Kagee, does this sound like the problem you are reporting? Thanks, Tom

The boot problems I saw never made it that far. They wouldn't boot at all. Borrow a PSU and swap the cables, your answer should be obvious. Good luck!

OP
kagee108

kagee108

1-Man-Army said:
well for me, when i restart or shut down my comp i need to re enter the bios data, due to the psu, it wont save any cpu settings to the bios!!!

Yep, saw this one too in my research. I also had to reset the bios, but that was do to me pulling the plug. That was the only way to shut the stupid thing off.

Sounds like you'll be shopping for a new PSU!

Splinter

The verdict is in...my antec sl400 has indeed gone bad. The fact that it happened just a couple of days after new m/b and processor seems to just be coincidence. Just thought I'd let you know.

OP
kagee108

kagee108

Splinter said:
The verdict is in...my antec sl400 has indeed gone bad. The fact that it happened just a couple of days after new m/b and processor seems to just be coincidence. Just thought I'd let you know.

The new mobo and CPU most likely placed a higher demand on the PSU than the other set up did. If you have a component that is marginal, tha added strain will cause it to go in most cases.

Glad your problem is fixed!:cool:

Splinter

I replaced a 1.6 rev a7n8x dlx with the 2.0 and a 2100+ with a barton 2500+. You wouldn't think that would have been the case, however, the fact remains that it went and so I wait for an rma #. Hopefully, it won't be too long a wait.:)

OP
kagee108

kagee108

No, you wouldn't think that small of a change would make a difference. Sometimes things just go bad. You could have had a power spike in the AC line. Who knows. That is why warranties exist, and from the sound of it your's is still under warranty. That will save you a few coins!