• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

N.s.d.s ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Indyxc1

It looks like my 2.0A died, but Im not too sure.

I had it running at 2540 at 1.62 v for 4 weeks, and all the sudden it started giving me fatal except errors, and I had to restart XP. It would no longer run stable in Prime 95. So I clocked it down to 2500, and it crashed in prime 95, had an error. Restarted, and I was playing a game, and all the sudden it had another fatal except error, and I restarted, and was greeted with a fatal exception error on booting Xp.

Tried to reinstall xp at 2000 mhz with a fresh partition, and it wont get past a certain point in XP, as it has a 386 fatal except error at the same point every time.

Not to mention I was taking the heat sink off, and the thermal paste basically glued the cpu to the heatsink, and the heatsink came out at some of an angle, so some of the pins bent. :mad: I straighten the 3 or so pins, but now the cpu doesn't slide in on that corner.

Does this sound like N.S.D.S?

Indyxc

micamica1217

I have one question.......what HSF did you use for the cpu?
I'll bet you used something good, yet
1.6v sounds very low to me.

heat sounds like a better reson for the failing cpu.

also, the chip could be defective from the start.:(

sorry to hear the bad news.

a dead chip no matter what the reason, is still a dead chip.

again, sorry

mica

OP
I

Indyxc1

I used a Volcano 7+ with an 80 mm Fan on the side door blowing directly at the heat sink.

The the thing I found odd was that the heat sink wasn't even ever warm, when the cpu was suppodly at 56c under full load. I suspect I might of put too much thermal grease, and it basically insulated the processor away from the heat sink.

Peter

Back to PIII 800 running at 906:rolleyes:

micamica1217

Indyxc1 said:
I used a Volcano 7+ with an 80 mm Fan on the side door blowing directly at the heat sink.

The the thing I found odd was that the heat sink wasn't even ever warm, when the cpu was suppodly at 56c under full load. I suspect I might of put too much thermal grease, and it basically insulated the processor away from the heat sink.

Peter

Back to PIII 800 running at 906:rolleyes:

I have a better idea of what happened....

your HS could be part of the first batch....they have two pins on the base plate that stick out too far....so your HS never fully touchs the cpu. ( yet you still might get a good footprint )

having too much AS3 will only make the HS push the grease to the sides of the cpu.

sorry to say this......but you never had a chance with that crappy HS.
look around, you are not alone.

your temps and cold HS are a dead give away.

again sorry to hear what happened.

mica

OP
I

Indyxc1

Interesting idea, and I think you are correct. The layer of thermal grease and the heat sink seemed awfully thick for the amount I applied.

I dont have the heat sink with me, but where are the pins? I looked around online, and could not fine an illustration that. identified what you mentioned.

Thanks

OP
I

Indyxc1

Do you mean the 4 tabs, 2 on each that stick out parallel to the face of the processor?

I'll cut them off. The heatsink itself with proper contact should be awesome. Made of copper, large surface area, large fan....

Peter

micamica1217

Indyxc1 said:
Do you mean the 4 tabs, 2 on each that stick out parallel to the face of the processor?

I'll cut them off. The heatsink itself with proper contact should be awesome. Made of copper, large surface area, large fan....

Peter

sorry for the late reply.....I have kids that wont sleep.

anyway, yea, cut them off if you can.

the pins on the bottom of the base plate should make the heat sink not level, at least on one side.

with out paste, try to see if you can "see" if it lays flat on the cpu.

then cut if nessasary.

good luck

mica

Last edited:

CyberFed

yeah after reading the follow up posts mica's got some good advice those temps are way hot and that cooler is garbage, too much/little AS3 can really mess stuff up, i have expirmented by putting different layer thicknesses of AS3 and i found the best coat is one done by applying a razor thin coat with your finger or something like a creditcard. That seems to give me the best temps. I'm guessing the following was wrong with the chip..again all in speculation..
1. It was a crummy chip to begin with
2. Heat got to it after weeks of full load usage
3. HS wasnt mounted right/too much AS3

Let this teach us all something :) be careful!! tis a shame the chip is toast --btw interested in selling it to me so i can make a keychain out of it? :D

BTW mica nice o/c on the 1.6a --whats your vcore at?