• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

N00b Oc'er

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Area_51_FL

I've never OC'd a computer before, but recently bought an Alienware Area-51 R5 (2008, no Liquid Cooling). I want to get somewhere between 3.0 and 3.2 GHz OC'd. But, I don't know much about computers when it comes to overclocking and what Hardware/Software I'll need. Here are the specs:

Alienware Area-51 R5.
4GB GDDR3 RAM.
Intel Core 2 Duo (Dual Core) E8200 @ 2.66 GHz.
1TB HDD.
Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit OS
Heatsink (not sure which type or model)

I'm not sure what all needs to be known to get any help. Sorry for not knowing anything, just never been on an overclocking adventure before and I know the risks if something goes wrong. Any help is appreciated if someone could tell me how to overclock this or if it's even possible without messing something up. I'd prefer not to do it in BIOS if at all possible. Thanks! Happy OC'Ing!

Daddyjaxx

I don't believe that you can overclock your Alienware. It is a Dell after all. There is this program where you can overclock outside of the BIOS:

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=189

I really do not suggest using it. You can overclock your CPU with it, but it will also raise your PCi and/or PCI express buses that can bork your hard drives and mess up Windows badly or bork your GPU permanently. Normally with BIOS overclocking, you can lock the PCI bus at 33 or PCI Express bus at 100.

You also can't adjust any voltages at all. Look in your BIOS to see if there are any overclocking capabilities, but I doubt there will be. Dell and Alienware usually only allow overclocking when you buy an Intel Extreme CPU and then it is setting something for automatic overclocks.

OP
A

Area_51_FL

When did Dell partner with Alienware? Cause if my memory serves me right, they weren't always on the same squad. And this computer is from 2008 I believe. Not sure if I am right, Just what I heard that they joined up together, but alienware was alienware and dell was dell at some point.

OP
A

Area_51_FL

Dam....I thought Dell's were good (I'm a noob. I just know minimum specs for decent gaming and that's it). Time to sell I suppose....Thought I had something good. Hmph. Guess not. Oh well, Thanks bro.

Daddyjaxx

There's nothing wrong with a Dell or Alienware for stock use or those that don't want to or can't build their own. Just don't expect to be able to overclock and do things you can do by building your own. Dell has a good reason behind this. If you mess up your system overclocking...who are you going to call when your PC won't start?

OP
A

Area_51_FL

In my opinion, now I know it doesn't mean anything to Dell, but if you want to take the risk in overclocking, then that's the persons risk. Put that in the manual or something that if you tamper with the hardware, the warranty/customer service is then VOID. Of course they won't do that because then people will be scared to even try it so they save all the hassle by not even allowing it to be done. I bought this computer PURELY for gaming. I could have kept my old laptop had I known I couldn't OC it. I'll look into selling it. What's a good pc to buy? (my budget should be around $1,000-$1,200). I know I can't get much out of it but it has to be better then what I have now since I Can't OC.

OP
A

Area_51_FL

Not sure what a GPU (graphics processing unit) is, I know what it's called, but not what it is. If it's my graphics card, then it's an nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS (main) and geforce 6200 (secondary)

Daddyjaxx

Just putting something together without much thought. 1185.00 and it would kill your current system. You could save some money on some things or do better. You'd need a new CPU cooler too, but there are better places to buy those.

eggi.jpg

OP
A

Area_51_FL

Sounds good to me. Maybe I can get $1,200 out of the current system I have now with the monitor and all. I'll just have to wait and look into some things. Thanks for lookin that up for me bro.

OP
A

Area_51_FL

Good News. I got into my BIOS and my clocks are NOT locked. I can adjust them. I just don't know what settings to go with,