• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

n00b question.....sorry : (

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=TriX-R4-KidS=

I have just discovered these type of distributed computing programs.

ive found

seti@home
folding@home + genome@home
prime95

I want to run 2 of these program at the same time....ive chose genome + seti because those are both issues that interest me.

The problem is that program that I start up first always steals as much of the idle cpu power as it can....leaving the other w/ occassional 1-8% cpu power.

Is there any settings I can configure to make the 2 each use 50% of the idle cpu power?

-TriX

None of the DC projects will truly allow you to run another one on the same computer unless you have a multi-processor system. You can fiddle around with some of the settings but fact is they just don't work together on a single cpu box.

yeppers - since they all use %100 of idle cpu power, one would struglle with the other, time to buy a second system!...lol

-=TriX-R4-KidS= said:
i see... : \

I used to have 2 systems til I had to sell my gaming rig : (.

guess ill just run seti then looking for aliens is "funner" than looking for genomes..
Bear in mind that Seti is shifting away from actually searching for aliens. They're branching out into other studies related to astrophysics and cosmology. A lot of people don't seem to be aware of this. In my opinion that makes it a more interesting and valuable project. I have a suspicion that aliens are probably already aware of us and taking their time studying us.

TC said:
Bear in mind that Seti is shifting away from actually searching for aliens. They're branching out into other studies related to astrophysics and cosmology. A lot of people don't seem to be aware of this. In my opinion that makes it a more interesting and valuable project. I have a suspicion that aliens are probably already aware of us and taking their time studying us.

thanks for the info. :)

ive successfully joined the Overclockers SETI team and have added all 12 hours of my SETI time (lol) and am using my athlon 1600 palomino @ 1754mhz (166fsb+333ram). i should get my new 1700 jiuhb in today and hope to burn her in w/ SETI....hope to reach 2400mhz : ).

Back