• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

n00b Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ambiguous

ok iam new to this board but i have been looking through and a lot of good info, best i have found on the net so far, but i have a prob that i run into quite frequently when trying to overclock my cpu. when ever i try to raise my fsb past say 144mhz when i reboot, my screen just goes black no video what so ever, i know i can get it back, but i have been readin posts on here about people gettin up to 180fsb, is this a common prob or am i doin something wrong, i have a AMD 2000+ with a Soyo kt333 dragon ultra platinum edition mobo, volcano 9+coolmod with artic silver 3 heat compound. ne sugestions would be helpful.
Thnx,
Ambiguous aka n00b :p

WELCOME to the forums.
are you overclocking your video card at the same time?
what kind of ram are you using, how many sticks, and what kind of timings are set in the bios?

i dont think iam overclocking my video card, i dont know how, iam using 1 stick of pc2700 rd333 ram, and am unsure of timings, but my setting for my bios are cpu voltage is 1.8, and my fsb is 144, my cpu ratio is set at i think 8x and dram is set at 166. if that helps. also how do i overclock my vid card?

but what brand of ram is it?
is your cpu unlocked? are you sure about that multiplier?
it's hard for me to tell what's wrong, without having more detailed info.
multiplier x fsb = cpu speed
i wouldn't crank up the fsb too high. it stresses everything.... agp, pci, hard drives, cd/dvd-rom......
need 411

the brand of my ram is corsair, if you mean unlocked by doin the l1 connector trick then no, and if the cpu ratio isnt the same as multiplier i dunno what it is or how to find out.

If you haven't done the L1 mod that means that your multiplier (CPU ratio, its the same) is still at default which is x12.5. now 144(FSB) x 12.5 = 1800MHz. I think that the CPU is the limiting factor here. If you could tell the stepping of your CPU? (the stuff that's written on the core on the chip) we could tell you what are the speeds would be likely to get. try setting the RAM to run at the speed of the FSB and see what happens when you up the FSB again.

i have my ram set at 166mhz, and i will have to get you the stepping info later, i just put all that stuff on today haha. and how do you overclock your vid card to match your cpu?

I don't exactly understand the "match your CPU" part, but there are programs like Riva Tuner and power strip which are able to change the running speed of a video card in real time, which mean no restarts or anything like that are needed.
When you overclock a video card, you can either OC the core, memory or them both. all the is to it is upping the speed till you get lockups or artifacts on the screen, then you know you gotta lower the speed

Back