• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

N2 cooling -would this work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oc jason

Just saw this and wondered if i filled it with liquid nitrogen, and then sealed it -would it eventually need to be refilled of would it stay there forever, would the chip heat up the liquid nitrogen?? I dont understand how this works

How big is that thing??!?!
If you filled it with liquid nitrogen and put it on a processor, then the heat would cause the nitrogen to change into a gas and the thing might explode. Cool if it is not your system. To get a N2 system to work you have to circulate it, cool it and compress it to turn it back into a liquid. A sealed container would do the same as a heatsink without a fan, a couple seconds and then you have toast.

what type or circulation would i need to pump n2 back through the tank to recool it- I cant use a normal pump and copper tubing can i cause wouldnt that freeze ANY pump or TUBING-its about 4inches tall by 3 inches wide i think by the looks of it)

LikuidFusion (May 30, 2001 12:05 p.m.):
Just saw this and wondered if i filled it with liquid nitrogen, and then sealed it -would it eventually need to be refilled of would it stay there forever, would the chip heat up the liquid nitrogen?? I dont understand how this works

The only way for nitrogen (or any liquid) to cool something *without a radiator) is by lowerig pressure. Open coolers do so by evaporating the liquid, so the heat is used to change liquid to gas. If you sealed it (and it could hold the pressure) absolutely nothing would happen besides the nitrogen getting hot and your chip frying. If you left it open, the chip would be very cool but you'd have to refill it. Closed systems work by a compressor compresses the nitrogen gas, creating heat but also returning it to a liquid form. The liquid is then allowed to expand in a lower pressure area and absorbs the heat making the area very cool. This is how refridgerators and a/c's work (not with nitrogen gas though). That is also why you'll see a radiator on the back of the fridge since you must get rid of the compression heat.

LikuidFusion (May 30, 2001 02:26 p.m.):
what type or circulation would i need to pump n2 back through the tank to recool it- I cant use a normal pump and copper tubing can i cause wouldnt that freeze ANY pump or TUBING-its about 4inches tall by 3 inches wide i think by the looks of it)

You have to use some HEAVY duty components to deal with the pressures. A better idea is to retrofit the compressor system of a fridge or a/c to cool the cpu.

Well there are special pumps and dewars made for holding and pumping Liquid Nitrogen. The problem gets to be when you want to compress it back into liquid after it turns into a gas. Liquid Nitrogen compressors are very expensive. You would save a lot by just getting a vapochill. But I know where you are coming form, I love to do things on my own just to say I made this. I have already gone up the Nitrogen Avenue, it's great to be done once for show and tell, but not even close to being practical for everyday use. You should do what I did, sit down and start thinking of some items that you could invent or have someone build to your specifications. That's what I did with a waterblock and I can't wait to get it back.

James

I explored this option too. You could consume(yes, consume) about 1L of liquid nitrogen per hour keeping a cpu dissipating 100W of heat at 0'C if you sprayed it on, and just let it evaporate off. However, liquid nitrogen isn't exactly cheap, so you wouldn't want to consume 1L/hour unless the system was worth more than 1L of n2 per hour :)

LikuidFusion (May 30, 2001 04:28 p.m.):
i have an endless supply of n2 and access to free n2 compressors

Really? hook me up man! lol

No really if you have the equipment go for it.

iuf i can get an extra one i will-i am in the military and we use n2 compressors-we use them to make LOX-liquid oxygen-cold as hell and will handle n2 temps- they are rated to handle -510 kelvin that is 2 degrees away from absolute 0 -when all molecule motion stops!!! ANd im sure that they wouldnt miss couple, and my dad can get n2-so id be in business if i had brains enough to hook it up-go figure

LikuidFusion (May 30, 2001 07:42 p.m.):
iuf i can get an extra one i will-i am in the military and we use n2 compressors-we use them to make LOX-liquid oxygen-cold as hell and will handle n2 temps- they are rated to handle -510 kelvin that is 2 degrees away from absolute 0 -when all molecule motion stops!!! ANd im sure that they wouldnt miss couple, and my dad can get n2-so id be in business if i had brains enough to hook it up-go figure

Just a side-note, -510 kelvin doesn't exist. 0 Kelvin = absolute zero. IF you really can get a liquid nitrogen compressor, you would want to set it up basically the same as a refrigerator. Have a nozzle spray the nitrogen onto a plate, the ln2 would evaporate off, and have a tube to carry the gaseous nitrogen to the compressor, and then back through the cycle.

ya sorry i got my terms mixed up i meant -256 F-that is absolute zero but in the spur of the moment i was fouled-thanks for the correction-had a few (8) brewskis tonight

There's also the potential of overcooling your chip...

Anything below -50C or so and the silicon starts pulling apart. Yeah, sure, it'll run fine for a while, but when it suddenly dies you'll not be a happy camper. If you can find some way to keep the temp above that threshold, and a nice safe way to handle the N2 then you're golden! :)

Back