• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NAS Folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
I will be getting a NAS soon (probably a QNAP TS-453A).

This box can run Virtual Machines.

Most of the time the NAS will just be sitting there...was figuring I could put it to use.

Has anybody ever tried folding on a NAS? What do you think PPD would be?

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
I will be getting a NAS soon (probably a QNAP TS-453A).

This box can run Virtual Machines.

Most of the time the NAS will just be sitting there...was figuring I could put it to use.

Has anybody ever tried folding on a NAS? What do you think PPD would be?

Probably a few K PPD. Maybe less :shrug:
Even if it's 2K PPD it only uses 6 watts!

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
Probably not much considering the cpu that is in there. Also, even though it has a small draw, I wouldn't be certain the heatsinks in those are meant for a 24/7 100% load (and it may also affect your file sharing depending on what all you plan to have running on it - plex, etc)

OP
JrClocker

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
I should have clarified my initial question better.

I already have a NAS running (off my main router).

The QNAP device is a 4-bay RAID NAS (and capable of much more.) It has a quad core Celeron as it main CPU and can have a maximum of 16 GB of RAM. It's a lot of horsepower that will be sitting idle most of the time.

I always wanted a reason to learn about Linux (have been avoiding it thus far). My plan would be to setup a Linux VM on the NAS and dedicate that to folding. I am wondering how many PPD that would produce (i.e. is it even worth it)?

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
I should have clarified my initial question better.

I already have a NAS running (off my main router).

The QNAP device is a 4-bay RAID NAS (and capable of much more.) It has a quad core Celeron as it main CPU and can have a maximum of 16 GB of RAM. It's a lot of horsepower that will be sitting idle most of the time.

I always wanted a reason to learn about Linux (have been avoiding it thus far). My plan would be to setup a Linux VM on the NAS and dedicate that to folding. I am wondering how many PPD that would produce (i.e. is it even worth it)?

I dont see why it wouldn't be worth it. It is just going to sit there idle. Might as well make it do something useful. Might be only a few hundred ppd though