• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NAS Software Reviews - Your input is wanted!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I didn't start any tests. The install I did was just to make sure the server actually functions with my SAS controller. The only issue I've hit so far that is not OS related is my card is not passing through SMART data.

Of all of the few RAID controller cards that I've used in the past, none of them passed SMART data in from the HDs. Not sure if that's an enterprise level feature or what, but I never got to have it before.

Of all of the few RAID controller cards that I've used in the past, none of them passed SMART data in from the HDs. Not sure if that's an enterprise level feature or what, but I never got to have it before.
According to the instructions that I followed for this exact card, it says it will pass through SMART data and people were even reporting this. I don't get it. :confused:

One of the new drives is throwing fits. It is randomly dropping down to very low speeds (<30 mb/sec) while doing a simple speed test. Running the test multiple times shows that the slowdowns are in the exact same spot every time. I'm talking with the seller to see if he wants me to RMA it since it is still in warranty.

failedseagate.png

The software being used to read the SMART data is usually the problem. My controller in my NAS can pass through, or at least allow software to access the SMART data on the drives. But only 1 software I have (Hard Disk Sentinel) is actually about to read the SMART data (though I haven't tried any other except for what is built into FlexRAID).

Seagate just confirmed they received the RMA.

1. Total Requested Quantity : 1
2. Total Clean Received Quantity : 1
3. Total Expected Not Received Qty : 0
4. Total Discrepant Quantity : 0
5. Total Return Unrepaired Quantity : 0

If your Return Acknowledgment Line 5 shows the Total Return Unrepaired Quantity (RUR) greater than 0 , then we have determined that your RMA includes products that are not covered by Seagate's warranty and Seagate has no obligation to replace these products.

Come on Seagate, this isn't cool.

Your Seagate Order [removed] shipment has been delayed due to low inventory. One or more of the product replacements on your order may not ship on time. Once replacement stock is available, you will receive a notification email that your order has been shipped.

Yeah, too much money flooding their wallet.

I can do some of the basic portions of the review, but anything that is related to performance I can't.

Cant wait till you get it back.

I am not sure if a NAS would be the right situation for this, but could a NAS host a VDD? So you can run "diskless" clients? (boot from a USB stick)

It wont be a network test per se but have you thought about IOmeter? It would help gauge maximum capabilities when not hindered by a single gigabit link. I stay away from IOmeter in my storage reviews because it is extremely complex and I like to use software that everyone else can use to test their stuff for themselves. But one thing that IOmeter has the ability to do is run multiple tests simultaneously. It is definitely a staple of enterprise level storage tests.

Setup simultaneous worker threads with data patterns to emulate, streaming a HD video, with another thread for music streaming while someone else is perusing photogrpahs and yet another user is baking up their OS image.

I do not know how to tell you to set it up to do that.. but you already have a 2 legsup on me in the enterprise level storage department so might even know already.

would imagine...(by the way cluster is not the right word since all are on same storage been awhile since I ran IOmeter)

Worker1 8GB single pass for 8GB
Worker2 5MB 1600 passes concurrent for 8GB
Worker3 1-2MB 4-8000 simulataeneous passes for 8GB
Worker4 8GB single pass for 8GB

not sure how you would differentiate worker 1 and worker 4 but there are a TON of options in the newest IOmeter (2007 i think?)

Its the only way I can think of to test the NAS as if it had multiple clients...without using 4 seperate client PCs. RW results would be better with 4 client PCs, because you would be limited by Ethernet. But then you have differnces in router/switch LAN controllers and all that.

In my testing of Intel LAN controller. Lower throughput, but better latency and WAY less CPU power. realtek controllers are fastest (by about 100Mbps). but might use up to 3% of a sandybridge CPU clock cycles. IIRC it was about 980 MBps for the Intel and 1060 for the Realtek... but its been a while since I ran that test.

subbing this :)

Do you mean computers over the network running diskless? I haven't heard of a NAS OS that does it natively, but it would be interesting.

I have and am seriously considering using IOMeter instead of the files that I have. It saves me space, the test are easier to run, and I believe they will be more reliable. The downside is that I have to restart into Windows to do the tests -- but I should really be doing this anyway. I'm going to test it out this weekend to see how well I can configure it. I'm fairly sure it works on mapped network drives, which would be perfect.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Yeah diskless in the sense that you still need to boot a Virtual program.. TBH I am not sure about all that, i was not thinking a PXE boot as that requires something else and wouldn't work on a NAS. I meant an enterprise class situation were a NAS would host VDDs, oh maybe a sperate PXE server linking to NAS? I would go with your judgement on that being more intune with enterprise class storage.

Was just trying to think how people would use a NAS in these situations. For home users all I can think of is Movies/Tvshows, digital photos and home videos, documents and maybe quickbooks or EXcel DBs, and the occasional OS image backup.

For enterprise.. I do not have as much experience, it was all I could think of, since I do not work in a corporate environment, all my experience comes from Small business or SOHO and lots of reading and wanting to have a super server with thin clients throughout the house that could also be gamers.

If you are not using a NAS OS, but an actual server OS, than PXE, and VMs come more into play, but thats beyond my ken but not beyond my interest. I will read it, probably not understand it, but will read it LOL. I leave it to you what to test and await your results :)

oh BTW you have a PM in coming.

Last edited:
Back