• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NAS to client streaming issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cdawall

I am having issues with freezing and unsyncing of V/A when running high quality 1080P movies (the 10+ GB variety with 5.1/7.1 audio).

NAS:

Athlon 5350@stock
8GB DDR3@1600
Asrock AM1-H
Onboard realtek GB nic and will be adding a 7260AC for lan teaming at some point
PCI-e raid card, 10x2TB in raid 50, 1x 120GB OS drive on the onboard Asmedia
Windows 10P

Clients (x2)

Athlon [email protected]
12GB DDR3@17xx
Asrock AM1-H
Intel 7260AC on 5ghz band
256GB SSD in one, 2x32GB SSD's in the other
Windows 10P

Router is a 1200AC from AT&T, it has no issues streaming to both client machines with 4-5GB 1080P movies, but a single 10GB+ to a single client causes issues. Running the same video hardwire to my gaming PC has no issues. I assume its a network issue, but is there a way to actually fix it or am I going to be at the limit of wifi?

I think you're at the limit of your wifi. I ran into a similar issue when I tested streaming to my rapsberry pi, when using wireless N adapter it would be super choppy or keep starting/stopping. When I hardwired it in it played flawlessly.

^ Agree

A 1080p stream with 5.1/7.1 sound will be around 20 Mbits/sec.

Many of the "free" routers you get from the cable company do a really poor job of push through sustained traffic...like the sort for streaming video.

Do you have the capability to prioritize network traffic through your router? If you do, give your "server" the highest priority.

If you don't, I would look at upgrading the router.

I had an issue with my wired system "whole house DVR" that would "stutter" every once in a while. This happened to coincide with heavy network traffic (YouTube video starting, somebody just launching Facebook, etc.) I set the video feeds to be the highest priority on the network, and it solved all the issues.

So interestingly enough I dumped the video on the internal SSD and still had stuttering issues. For some reason it doesn't want to cleanly play high bitrate 1080P even with hardware decoding enabled and it using the GPU...Looks like speed is all over the place on the IGP and when it drops the video stutters. I can't get the stupid AMD driver to force full speed either.

Wi-FI is your issue, ive never had luck with it, which is why all my machines are wired now besides my firetv stick.

Back