• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ND some help I am stumped regarding a dvd-rw burner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cisco Kid

I recently bought the Benq 822A dual format burner. I have flashed it to the latests firmware. The problem is the drive tells me brand new dvd +/- media does not have enough space to burn the selected file. I am using alcohol 120

I have tried installing the dvd-rw +/- drive on both master and slave IDE ports. The board is a Chaintech VNF3 250 that has 2x36ggb hd's in raid 0. The drive jumper is set to master as well

The drive can burn cdr media fine but I can not get it to burn brand new maxell or memorex media. The media I am using is 4x and I also notice that the media speeds shown in alcohol that I can burn at are completely incorrect, 63x??? Yet if I scroll the bar I can select 4x and there is a maximum burn feature based on media being used. Alcohol is a new program to me and I am not sure what it means when I open the prog and it shows the benq 8x4 dvd -rw drive and thena a virtual drive below it.

All feedback is welcomed cause I am stumped.

CK

Try running DVDidentifier - it'll at least tell you if the drive is recognizing the disc correctly.

It's been a while since I used alcohol but I believe the virtual drive clones a CD onto your hard drive so you don't need to stick the CD in to play a game or whatever.

Don't know what else to suggest apart from trying some different burning software - I like Nero personally.

I use Nero too. When I've had the error, it was because nero was looking at My CD-RW not my DVD-RW.

JCLW said:
Try running DVDidentifier - it'll at least tell you if the drive is recognizing the disc correctly.

It's been a while since I used alcohol but I believe the virtual drive clones a CD onto your hard drive so you don't need to stick the CD in to play a game or whatever.

Don't know what else to suggest apart from trying some different burning software - I like Nero personally.

Well it is identifying the dvd-r disc and the dvd-rw drive. Perhaps the file I have been attempting to burn is damaged, it is a bin/cue file. I have not yet tried to rip any dvd media. I guess I should try that and see what happens.

Thanks for the tips will post back and also try some other software as well.

CK

Back