• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need 17" LCD recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Icarus

I'm looking to upgrade my measly 15" LCD to a 17" one. I will be using it primarily for games but I also do a lot of image and video editing so color rending will be extremely important to me as well. One of the reasons why I chose the monitor that I did (Eizo L365) was because it has an extremely high contrast ratio and displays dark colors very well, unlike most LCDs that can't really differentiate dark colors and black.

I've shortlisted a few LCDs, such as the Hitachi CML174. Despite its low response time, I'm a little worried about its ability to display darker shades. I'm also interested in the Dell FP1800 and the BenQ FP767 looks particularly interesting, too. If anyone of you can provide some personal experience and recommendations, that would be great. I appreciate it. :) For me, response time is secondary to color fidelity. Anything equivalent or less than 25ms will do.

Pinky

So far people rave about the BenQ monitor, for the price. Not to say the other 17" LCDs available aren't as good or better, but for the cost the BenQ seems to be the best price/performance LCD on the market today.

OP
I

Icarus

Yes. It does seem that way, but I can't seem to find any reviews for the FP767 other than the one at avault.com and even that one isn't terribly comprehensive.

Cisco Kid

Icarus said:
Yes. It does seem that way, but I can't seem to find any reviews for the FP767 other than the one at avault.com and even that one isn't terribly comprehensive.

try this one but you will need to find a translation as it is Norsk (norwegian) hard to find reviews as it is a fairly new LCD. Hope the link below helps and let me know what you find to translate it

http://www.dinside.no/php/art.php?id=84512

found another review, and an intersting fact is they think contrast ratio is 400:1 but specs from BenQ.com and what is noted on my box show it as 500:1 which is correct. This is more a mini review, If I can find more I will post links I am interested in the Norsk review.

http://www.apcmag.com/apc/apcmag.ns...6AC200040A09/3810D76E2BD062FBCA256CEF0008BF1F

cisco kid

Last edited:

danomite664

im not trying to steal your thread, but i am also looking for a good, cheap 17" lcd monitor. i have seen some for like 320 or so, but i dont have more than about 350 bucks to spend on it, any suggestions?

SnComet2

For color fidelity and a great gaming experience i'd go with the samsung 172t. I love mine. Check out the sticky for my thoughts, or pm me if you have any particular questions.

Maxvla

i have the benq fp767b and love it. its 348 after $30 rebate if you buy it before the end of the month.

i'm never going back to my crt. or any other crt for that matter. the portability alone is awesome. went to a lan last night with it and it was nice to only have 2 trips (bag with monitor on one shoulder and bag on other shoulder with mouse, etc then a trip for my tower) instead of 3.

Hookem

I can only say that if you are planning on using it for gaming then 16ms response times are the only way to fly...;)

DEadLOck

Registered
I dont know about 17 inch but i bought a 19" LCD ViewSonic w/ Digital input and it is so nice.... it has 500:1

I have played like 6 diffrent games on it and the only one that i experience the ghost trails on is Half-Life:Counter-Strike.. but thats ok otherwise like unreal tournament, BattleField 1942, Hitman 2, Soldiers of Fortune 2, Warcraft 3, ect... are all so perfect and the texture on the montior is unbelieveable, the only down side to it is that it costed $700.00 :D

heavy666

why do I leave in brazil?!
here the cheapest 17' LCD I can find is about U$ 1k

a bit expensive....

ps: sorry to steel your post but I really had to say it.