• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a better heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Inositle

Right now I have a Vantec Aeroflow HSF on my AMD 2100.
I'm ordering 4 Smart Fan II's since my case airflow is pretty crappy at the moment, and I'm trying to decide if I should buy a new heatsink.

Right now I'm looking at the Thermalright SLK-700 since it's all copper and can accomodate my 72mm TMD from the Aeroflow.

I was wondering how much a difference this heatsink should make (I'm at about 40* idle and 46* load @ 185x12).

Thanks

MameXP

NOTE on that review: There is the tradeoff between noise and performance. There is a huge gap in performance between SLK700 and SLK800 but the SLK800 has Tornado (loudest fan).

I'm using SLK700s and i love them. Noise is acceptable, performance is good enough. However SLK700 comes with TMD fan as a combo so you cant use buy the HS.

MameXP

OP
Inositle

Inositle

Here's what i have on my order so far from www.case-mod.com

1 x 3/4in Heatshrink - Black $1.50
3 x 80mm Fan Grill: Stainless Steel (Mirror Finish) - Biohazard $6.72
5 x 80mm Case Fan: Thermaltake Smart Fan II $39.95 (1 for the heatsink)
1 x Zalman ZM-MFC1 Fan Controller $28.99
1 x 1/4in Sleeving - Neon Green *UV Sensitive* - 4ft $1.99
1 x 1/2in Sleeving - Neon Green *UV Sensitive* - 4ft $2.99
1 x 9mm Heatshrink - Black $1.25
1 x Thermalright SLK-947U - Universal $34.97

dalilman52

omg man...u really shouldnt have bought the slk-947, if u area already spending all that moeny, u shouldve bought the sp-97, geez that sucks...

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
Geez Dalilman its better than the SLK-700 he was going to get.If he doesn't want the best temps for a time to come,he'll get what he wants. Those fan guards are going to restrict your air.:D I know they look sharp. THE FANMAN:cool:

OP
Inositle

Inositle

No, I haven't bought this stuff yet, still trying to decide.

The 947 is only $35, the 700 was $21, and the only place i've seen an sp-97 it was $55.
Do the heatpipes really make a $20 difference?

And archilochus, how much will fan grills effect the airflow; I'm pretty sure I'm going to have some, just wondering.

Thanks

OP
Inositle

Inositle

Any suggestions for a 92mm fan for the heatsink?

:Edit:

Or would a SM2 be a better choice than a 92mm fan? (Performance- and Noise-Wise)

Last edited:

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
IMHO,Yes its worth the extra money.Fan grills depending on design,can block up to 50%.If I have to use a grills for safety reasons I use the wire finger guards.I know they don't look that great but they are the least restrictive. Fan for the SP-97 ,the Panaflo 92mm U1A. www.digi-key.com Enter item # P9760-ND.
This fan doesn't have rpm capabilities or a connecter on the end of its wires.Mine is wired to a rheostat to adjust fan speed.It is wired via the PSU. THE FANMAN:cool:

OP
Inositle

Inositle

Hmmm, thanks for all your input guys. I think I'm going to order everything except for the heatsink right now. After my next paycheck I think I'll buy the sp-97 and that panaflow.

Also, how much would getting a full tower aluminum case help my temps-looking at this one... LINK

I have a cheapo $30'ish case that I'm pretty sure is steel right now, but I'm too proud of my window mod and paint job to let it go so far :D

Remove

I only use that family of Chieftec cases. If I'm building a gaming rig I add a blow hole or two up top but other wise with 2 fans sucking in the lower front and 2 fans blowing out in the upper rear I've never had any heat issues like some other cases I've owned in the past with the same setups in them.

I have been very, vey happy with them. They are also easy to work with and mod.

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
Yea,That case looks nice.I don't think the aluminum cases run any cooler than the steel ones.They do wiegh less.Like REMOVE says, they are easier to mod.Can you provide a pic of your current case? THE FANMAN:cool: