• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a desktop that can handle 1080P video editing.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bored7one4

Looking to build or get a pre build computer from tiger direct. I will be using it to edit 1080 video.

price range is $400-650

any sugguestion?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
You need a case and OS as well?

I would suggest it have a quad and 4GB of memory. Thats going to be cutting it close with a $100 OS...

psionic98

prebuilt will give you less options and worse hardware.. on a max 650 budget you will want to look at AMD processors as they give more bang for the buck. Do you have any old hardware you can re-used to cut costs? Processor/mobo/ram will run you near if not more than 1/2 your current budget in order to have "good" power for editing.

EDIT- dang earth.. you're on more than me!

FYI- if you have a .edu email addy you can windows7 for about 32 dollars.. saves you over 70 bucks!

OP
B

bored7one4

I have window 7 home from a laptop i purchase for a friend. its from toshiba. I have 1 tb hard drive. but thats about it.

psionic98

so you need a monitor/kb and full setup? I don't think I can weigh in on this one as you're gonna want top bang for the buck.. and with the extras needed your budget is like 400-450 after the extras.

OP
B

bored7one4

This is what I have already.

Window 7
keyboard & mouse
monitor
1TB hard drive

mas5acre

I have window 7 home from a laptop i purchase for a friend. its from toshiba. I have 1 tb hard drive. but thats about it.

Since Windows 7 came with your laptop it's oem and useless cuz u can't install it on something that's not made by toshiba, plus its a violation of the EULA and you'd need another activation key anyway.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
Like EarthDog said, you'll probably want a quad core and four gigs of RAM. Depending on what you're doing, it might be nice to have a separate hard drive as a scratch drive - that can speed up encoding/decoding significantly from what I understand.

Poking around at Newegg gives me this:

Q9400 - $190
A good motherboard - $100
2 x 2GB of decent RAM - $85

That's $375 of your budget right there. You should be able to fit in a good case and a decent PSU for about $90, maybe. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck if you plan to overclock - you wouldn't have much trouble getting that 2.66GHz CPU up to 3.6GHz.

That's $465 + whatever video card you choose. You probably will get more bang for your buck (if you're on a really tight budget) if you go AMD, but I'm not up to date on what's happening on that side of the fence.