• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a fan controller. What's good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sweet! Thanks for the review knoober!

So I have made a small spot for a can controller in the new case. That space is 5x2.75 inches or 127x69.85 mm.
So I would have to mod any 5.25" controllers a bit to fit which is fine :)

I really like the controller witchy pointed out which has me thinking about LCD displays too.
Keep the suggestions coming, the more options the better!

somebody, did
http://forums.vr-zone.com/hardware-depot/3167542-phanteks-pwm-fan-controller-hub-review.html

unfortunately, all pics are gone
the conclusion still there, though :D
Odd. My IP is banned there...
Works on mobile data though.

Voltage range seems limited... Something I didn't consider was the fact that all fans would run at the same speed which may not work well because they aren't all the same model... So I guess that effectively takes that off the list of possibilities.

I stand by my suggestion. Just get it over with and go full pwm motherboard control even if you have to get new fans. I've been down this road over and over. Nothing is better than setting and forgetting with the exact speeds you want at any given temperatures with good fans you won't have any problems with.

Or you can just get a bunch of 2 way,
3 pin splitter cables and double your mobo headers. As long as your fans aren't too power thirsty.

I stand by my suggestion. Just get it over with and go full pwm motherboard control even if you have to get new fans. I've been down this road over and over. Nothing is better than setting and forgetting with the exact speeds you want at any given temperatures with good fans you won't have any problems with.
That would be the best option but not the cheapest. Money is tight right now...
Or you can just get a bunch of 2 way,
3 pin splitter cables and double your mobo headers. As long as your fans aren't too power thirsty.
So grab some splitters and hook 2 fans up per header?

Yep you just have to make sure you don't overload the header. I think most can do 1 amp. You have to check your mobo manual and the draw on each fan.

Yep you just have to make sure you don't overload the header. I think most can do 1 amp. You have to check your mobo manual and the draw on each fan.
Never though of that actually.. Thanks! :thup:

Ideally, I'd love to upgrade to PWM fans, but it's not going to happen anytime soon.. :(

Ideally, I'd love to upgrade to PWM fans, but it's not going to happen anytime soon.. :(

http://www.overclockers.com/high-speed-gentle-typhoon-pwm-mod/

check to see if there is a solder point under any of those stickers. maybe you can have the best of bother worlds.

And another vote for the Lamptron with the military style switches because its AWESOMWE looking :thup:

But seriously I have seen others around here recommend fan header splitters with like 8 splits. If you run a search you might run across the threads I am talking about. I dont know what to tell you about voltages and such though, so Split At Your Own Risk and make sure to do your homework first

http://www.overclockers.com/high-speed-gentle-typhoon-pwm-mod/

check to see if there is a solder point under any of those stickers. maybe you can have the best of bother worlds.

And another vote for the Lamptron with the military style switches because its AWESOMWE looking :thup:

But seriously I have seen others around here recommend fan header splitters with like 8 splits. If you run a search you might run across the threads I am talking about. I dont know what to tell you about voltages and such though, so Split At Your Own Risk and make sure to do your homework first

I don't have gentle typhoons, but I checked my D12SM-12 Yate Loons and low and behold there is a 4th pad ready to be soldered with some wire!

But I don't have a fine tip soldering iron :(
Soo that's a bummer.

If it were to work it would be sweet because the NZXT fans have a low med and hi switch already built in :thup:

you can get splitters for 3 pin fans that work fine. they don't have to be pwm.

you can get splitters for 3 pin fans that work fine. they don't have to be pwm.
Found some on newegg for $2.49ea. I figure 3 will do.

Thanks for suggesting the splitters instead Brando. Seems like a good choice instead of a controller :)

Thats what im using on FMJ, got 4 fans on one channel, works great , had it for years lol.

Thats another thing. With the splitters im limited to how many I buy. With a controller i have some more flexibility in terms of adding more fans.

Also ive been subscribed to FMJ since page 1 and i have to say it looks damn good wolf :thup:

Tnx Pharaoh, its nothing special up close lol. I used the Phobia splitters,like em, nice sleeving and good price,shipping cost more lol.

There are basically two kinds fan controllers: analog and digital. I have tried both and don't like the digital ones I have sampled as they don't allow for the granularity of control that the analog ones do. I keep going back to the Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme units with 30w per channel. Six different control knobs. Some people complain about the bright blue LED knobs. I usually put more than one fan on a channel if the fans are the same.

There are basically two kinds fan controllers: analog and digital. I have tried both and don't like the digital ones I have sampled as they don't allow for the granularity of control that the analog ones do. I keep going back to the Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme units with 30w per channel. Six different control knobs. Some people complain about the bright blue LED knobs. I usually put more than one fan on a channel if the fans are the same.

The digital ones are the ones with the lcd touchscreen and all that i assume.
30w/channel is large enough that i could put all my fans on the controller! They dont make them anymore though right? Hopefully Nebulos and I can strike a deal up one one.

Alternatly, the lamptrons that Earth Dog mentioned seem popular too so thats on the list as well.

I loved splitter idea but having control over my fans is better. I might pick some up for future fans though (more rad one day)

You can still control two fans with a splitter but not individually.

Back