• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need a good heat sink, under $50

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Iron Hawk

Well, looks as if it may be a while before I get my water cooled setup, so in the meantime im going to need a better heatsink than my unlapped Volcano 6cu+. Any Thoughts? I have been looking at the glaciators because they are a bit quiter:D. Actualy quiet is quite important, because my computer is allready kinda noisy.

My system is running fully stable at 12.5x134 but if i push it much higher It will crash after a hour or so of use. My current temps are 45-45c (digitaldoc5) 43-44c(mbm5).

Should I go with a Glaciator II? What do you recomend? (I am looking to push a few more FSB and have a slighet temperature decrease)

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
svc golden gate! they are awesome!!! you can put little 18cfmers on it and get almost the same as with a 38cfm fan!!! and they cool great! kinda like the sk6, and they cost about 25bucks shipped!!! i got mine modded for a 80mm fan and it kinda sucks but its only in the deadtime wile i invent new watercooling things...

Hoot

Inactive Moderator
Check out Joes comparison here and then go looking for the highest performer versus the money you want to spend. There's a big field to choose from.

Hoot

muddocktor

Retired
You can get the new Thermalright AX7 with a decent 80 mm fan for under $50 and they rated real well in tests here on the front page. This hsf also uses all 6 lugs on the socket so you minimize any lug breakage problems.

EDIT: I just checked over at kdcomputers and you can get the AX7 with the 68 cfm Delta 80 mm fan for $48.84 shipped UPS ground.

Last edited:

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
Iron Hawk said:

why does it "kinda suck"?

well my fan adapter is one of them clear cds that come on top and bottom of a 50 pack with the holes cut in it, and its not ducted, and this fan i have on it is 30 cfm, and quiet, but thats not it, its that the air more goes out in a V instead of strait, and a lot of air escapes, i gotta duct it in there better.....

otherwize it will work great!