• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a Linksys router...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Verizon DSL says they only support Linksys routers with their DSL service. Total networking noob. The rig in my sig has a Gigabit ethernet port, and I'm getting Dell laptop with a Intel pro 2915 wireless card. What Lynksys wireless router do you recommend? CompUSA has this, this, and this. Not too sure the last one is even a router :shrug:
Thank You for your time,
Killa
I'm thinking the 2nd one I listed.

Last edited:

Kendan

Senior Punk
You can go first or second. I would go second because it can still be used with 3rd party firmware unlike the latest version of your 1st choice. This will not affect you right now though just if you get to where you want some advanced functionality that the default firmware doesn't have.

jajmon

Kill_A._Byte said:
Thank You for your reply. It's not E-Z being clueless :eek:

^^^what Kendon said.

It's ok, if you aren't sure on stuff, the forums are here to help. I too have problems at times, and can usually figure them out by reading the manual, help files, googling etc. Failing the afore mentioned, I come here, where help is usually,,, well helpful.

K15

A related question, how expensive would a 1gig router be? Or does such a thing exist yet?

klingens

Just get a 1GBit switch. If you have to ask for 1GBit router prices you're definitely not rich enough to buy a 1GBit connection :)

Switches cost around $100

OP
Kill_A._Byte

Kill_A._Byte

OK I got the WRT54GS, I think I don't have it set up right :bang head . Is there a way to wipe out all I've done and start fresh? For one, the way I log on to my main rig has changed to a small rectangle Winxp window instead of showing all the users and their icons. I have access to the WAN thru wireless but I need to set up so I can print (HP4110 All in one)and access files between the two computers. Do I need a printer server? I'll go thru the setup sticky to set up but I think I need to start from square one.
Thanks

Como

Kill_A._Byte said:
Verizon DSL says they only support Linksys routers with their DSL service. Total networking noob. The rig in my sig has a Gigabit ethernet port, and I'm getting Dell laptop with a Intel pro 2915 wireless card. What Lynksys wireless router do you recommend? CompUSA has this, this, and this. Not too sure the last one is even a router :shrug:
Thank You for your time,
Killa
I'm thinking the 2nd one I listed.

i have verizon dsl... i had a linksys wrt54g untill recently, im now using a netgear 108mbps something or other. ive also used a d-link...

all routers communicate the same way over the same language, theres nothing a linksys does thats special that would make a dsl modem work with it and no other.
Although linksys routers are really easy to use/configure compared to the others... ;)
good luck, and i hope you switch isp's soon. verizon dsl makes me want to cry.

four4875

the winXP logon screen has to do with a service being stopped, not sure what it has to do with the router. if you go into the routers config there should be a restore to factory defaults button, and that cna reset everything.

for the file and print sharing, you need to have the service installed (it should be by default) and then you hsoudl be able ot go into your printers folder from the control panel, and right click and share printer, say you understand the risks and that stuffs.

then on the other comp go to the printers, add printer, say its a shared printer on network and browse to the PC and connect there. if the other ocmputer isnt showing up, make sure both computers are on the same workgroups, and you cna go to start search for computers and search the computer name. then it should find it, it may need a couple restarts to see each other, as windows networking can be a pain.