• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need a Network person's help!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiteSmoker17

I have been working with my Phone Co. and My ISP for the last 12 monthes trying to figure out why my internet drops off every 13 min's(you can set a watch by it). I live 3 blocks from the phone co(2 as the crow flys) and have had my phone Co. come out and run new lines, Line Test i have reinstalled windows 98SE,ME,XP Pro, tryed new nic cards-3 total, Different machines, take my PC to friends house across town on same ISP-(it worked just fine) Tweak tests. For some reason my net stops responding every 13 mins for 4-5 ping packets.
I run from C:>ping gateway ip address -t and have DU meter running and can see that it happens and when. When it happens all income and outgoing stops dead. all of my internet games laggout and most drop me from the server cause they dont start backup. Im running ADSL on TCP/IP w/ a dynamic ip -non PPPoE. I have read in some fourms that w/PPPoE there is something about the DHCP server on a comp that "wakes up" and searches for a new ip address and to fix it disable or remove TCP/IP but with my setup i cant do that. It is just too regular to dismiss as "the internet". I have screen shots but no place to upload them

jajmon

tell us more about how you are set up with dsl,,,,,,,,
1 comp to modem, or do you have dsl router in place, in other words are you hooked up,,,

dsl modem -----> pc

or

dsl modem ----> router------>pc

Kendan

Senior Punk
Make extra sure that nothing is plugged into a phone jack without a filter unless it is the DSL modem. That includes fax machines, Tivo, phones, and anything else that plugs into a phone jack.

OP
NiteSmoker17

NiteSmoker17

it is dsl modem to pc ...via usb i have tryed my nic cards and recieve the same result

Kendan

Senior Punk
try a different USB connection and a new USB cord. If you can choose either then use the nic card instead of the USB. Have you had them replace the modem?

PAWO

I am thinking DSL modem issue, the modem might be flaky, espeically since the problem is so perfectly timed like that...could put a router between the modem and pc and see if that changes anything...

Axis

If you took your PC and your DSL modem to yr friends house and it worked fine find out this....

Do you both use the same CO. Don't assume so.

If not get his DSL modem and try it at yr house.

See if you have a (OSI model) layer 2 problem only the CO can fix that, as long as you copper in yr house is ok. Getting them to invest time and money into helping you use someone else for your IP (isp) connection ain't gonna be easy (when they could be getting yr IP business). I hate local carriers. I work in the IP field. They are dinosaurs they way they do business.

Good luck

Axis

Oh ya...

Do a "tracert" to something say yahoo.com when you first connect. Copy that output. Then when your connection drops do it again. You will see what router drops it.

Then go to arin.net and put in (search for) that router's IP address. This will tell you what company owns the IP segment. That will tell you exactly who is responsible.

You could screen print the dos windows and send them to support people. If they don't understand what the pics mean DEMAND to speak to someone who knows what they are doing.

See the problems come from local CO's "leasing" actual space in there buildings to say Earthlink. The CO has a contract with Eathlink to provide DSL... Layer 2 and 1 stuff to Earthlink's routers etc. on the CO premsise. Elink provides IP and higher layer stuff. If your problem isn't layer 1 - 2 stuff and your CO isn't your ISP you are screwed. They don't care because they are still making money.

Axis

Oh ya again ;)

Just re-read yr post. Since you are only pinging yr gateway and yr ISP owns that. DHCP can be messing you up.

Do this.

On the actual enet card in ry pc put in this static IP (if you are running a home network this will hose it up but try it and deal with that later).

10.1.1.1 IP
nothing for the gateway and nothing in WINS or DHCP.

If yr ppoe is running on the same machine (as a DUN connection) it is OK to let that use DHCP. See ppoe is just tunneling from the OS through your local enet card. Since ppoe gets a DHCP addy from yr ISP the local enet card will not... becasue it is being used to tunnel. If that card is set to broadcast for DHCP it will f you up.