• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a new build, what CPU should I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SMOKEU

I've just purchased a 1440p 144/165Hz monitor and unsurprisingly, the gaming rig in my signature is starting to show its age. I plan on buying a GTX1080Ti since there's no other nVidia card worth buying in NZ (GTX1080 is poor value compared to 1080Ti and 1070 is poor value compared to 1080, and 1060 isn't powerful enough). So I need a high end CPU that's not going to cause a bottleneck at 1440p @ 100FPS+.

I really don't want to buy a 4 core, so it must be a 6 core or greater as I'd like the future-proofing. I'm not in a desperate hurry to buy right now, so I can wait a couple of months if need be. I'm not sure if I should go for a Ryzen 1700, or if I should wait to see what Intel brings in the 6-8 core range?

I have been extensively reviewing Ryzen gaming benchmarks, and it does leave a lot to be desired, but most of those benchmarks were done early in the Ryzen release before UEFI and software optimizations were completed. I don't plan on a multi GPU setup or quad channel RAM, but I do want a moderate CPU overclock.

I don't plan on doing any video editing/streaming so I don't *need* more than a 4C/8T but as I said, I want some future-proofing so a 6C/12T is the minimum. What should I get?! :shock:

wingman99

AMD RYZEN 5 1600 is a good choice for 6 core 12 thread and a good overclocker compared to the 1600x.

Mjolnir

Grab a 1700 OC to 3.9ghz with 2933-3200 RAM and call it a day :p. Considering it costs similar to/less than the 7700k equivalent, for double the core count, why not? Just remember raw FPS numbers isn't always the whole story.

Based on your requirement, the 7700k or 1600x/1700 are your options. 6 cores on Intel will come at a high premium.