• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a new power supply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dalilman52

OK guys, i just realized that my fortron 350w isnt as great as i though it was, i tried to install windows after i got some new hardware (9800pro WD SE 80gb, liteon 16x dvd) but when i was in the middle of installing, i would get a BSOD, i was like WTf so after 3 tries, i decided to lower my OC to stock, and what do u know, everything is working fine

so all im saying is give me some suggestions for a nice psu, im thinking about maybe an antec truepower unit, but not so sure...i know what i dont want. enercrap or thermalcrap (enermax and thermaltake) some suggestions plz!

btw here are the specs for the new comp

*athlon 1800+ oced to 11x200 1.65 vcore

*liteon 16x dvd & 52x cd-rw

*WD SE 80gb 7200rpm, 8mb quantum fireball 30 gig (for storage)

*asus a7n8x dlx

*sapphire 9800pro

*1.2 watt 120mm fan, a pci slot blower, 80mm smart fan, 120mm blue led fan, 120mm aluminum fan

*sony fdd

*kingston 2x hyperx pc3000 512mb (1 gig) pc3000 @ pc3200

530W Sparkle is the best bang/buck out there, arguably even better than the 300/350W FSP's, albeit total overkill for most needs.

Although I find it odd that your 350W can't handle that. My 300W took a far heavier load without a hitch. I still have no idea why I ever bothered to replace it.

A BSOD can mean many things. Maybe your memory isn't agreeing, maybe you've got too much dust in your HSF. I'd explore other possibilities before replacing your PSU.

Gautam said:
530W Sparkle is the best bang/buck out there, arguably even better than the 300/350W FSP's, albeit total overkill for most needs.

Although I find it odd that your 350W can't handle that. My 300W took a far heavier load without a hitch. I still have no idea why I ever bothered to replace it.

A BSOD can mean many things. Maybe your memory isn't agreeing, maybe you've got too much dust in your HSF. I'd explore other possibilities before replacing your PSU.

what exactly do you mean by my memory isnt agreeing? when i turned down my overclock, it stopped bsoding, theats a pretty good sign that my power supply just isnt cutting it

but if it is, and maybe i have some settings in my bios for my memory or other stuff that isnt good, what should i fix?

Klownin79 said:
If you have the money look at the PC power and cooling 510 Deluxe.

No better PSU...runs circles around any forton/sparkle or any antec PSU...worth every penny...

Just remember...the PSU is the heart of the system...go cheap on a PSU and you just wasted money for good hardware...

alright...i just restarted and it is definitely my power supply

i tried booting into windows with 200x11 @1.675 (worked b4 i installed other parts) and it would just restart after just a few seconds in the windows splash screen

so now i need a better psu...

ok...i need a new power supply and i was considering the EPS units at fortron, if anyone has used them, can you tell me whether they come with the EPS to ATX adapters?

i was also considering the 530w fortron unit, pls help me out here

I'm with Gautam I really doubt its your power supply.

Random reboots, ok I'll go for that but blue screens......sounds like either your ram timing is too tight or something is overheating inside.

Mark another one up for the PCP&C 510! I just got mine after going though two Fortron 530W, and this thing is a beast! Rail fluxuation? I'm not sure I'm familiar with that. This thing is SOLID. Take the price hit and get the best.

ixnay said:
I'm with Gautam I really doubt its your power supply.

Random reboots, ok I'll go for that but blue screens......sounds like either your ram timing is too tight or something is overheating inside.

no, but the thing is that it didnt do this until i installed the new parts, so i know that it it is taxing my psu too much, before i installed the new parts, it would work fine with these settings

Have you tried disconnecting extra fans/drives and see if it still blue screens?

ixnay said:
Have you tried disconnecting extra fans/drives and see if it still blue screens?

dont know how many times i have to say this...if i raise the vcore and my oc, i get the restarts b4 getting into windows, if i lower it to the settings in my sig, everything is stable

Sorry man, I know how frustrating it is when people keep sending you in circles, that wasnt my intention merely thinking outloud, trying to save ya a couple bucks :) . Good luck with your new Power Supply.

Well, my 300W Fortron worked just fine for my last system.

Now I've got an A64 at 2.5GHz, two hd's in RAID-0, two optical drives, a 9800 Pro, etc. and the 530w doesn't even let the rails budge. They never do, literally. I have yet to see a system that's too much for the 530W Forton...would be somewhere around a P4 at 5GHz with a 2.1v core voltage...lol

dalilman52 said:

dont know how many times i have to say this...if i raise the vcore and my oc, i get the restarts b4 getting into windows, if i lower it to the settings in my sig, everything is stable

ever think maybe your CPU cant handle that OC? when i try for 300fsb on my cpu, it gets into windows and reboots just like your cpu is and i have an antec true 480W.

i doubt its your psu. i think your cpu wasnt stable or your memory wasnt agreeing with the setup. BSOD's are almost always caused by memory problems. when i tried to clock my memory too high, i got a BSOD that i couldnt recover from and had to reformat - it currupted some information on my hard drive (no, it wasnt the PCI lock because i made sure it was on). random reboots could be your psu, but it could also be your cpu, and thats more likely since you said it happened when you INCREASED your OC. you can get another psu and see if it helps, but i doubt it will. if it does, more power to you (pun intended ;) ).

for future reference, i wouldnt leave your system overclocked when doing a fresh install. if anything is unstable in any way, it will mess up the install. the whole OS which is about 2Gb when installed, is compressed onto a CD as you know, the cpu must uncompress this and lots of memory is needed to install....if anything is not stable it will create errors and screw up the install - trust me, ive done this and you get constant errors and all kinds of "fun" stuff.

If you put back your old hardware (in other words, make your PC like it was before the upgrade) does it work fine? If so, then you're probably right. If not, then it's definitely something other than the PSU.

Back