• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a Radeon 9800 Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

supra33202

1) When should I buy a Radeon 9800 Pro? Do you expect a further price drop this month? My ideal price for an Radeon 9800 Pro is $150, but I guess I need to wait at least several months.

2) What brand of Radeon 9800 Pro do you recommend? Is SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9800 PRO Video Card for $199 at newegg.com a good deal?

3) Or should I buy a POWERCOLOR ATI RADEON 9800SE Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, bundle Free Hitman Contracts Game , Model "R98SE-C3G" -RETAIL for $147.00 at neweggcom and softmod it into Radeaon Pro? If yes, what video cooler do you recommend?

Thanks!

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
Myself, I'd consider this card at newegg... http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-361&depa=1

BBA 9800 Pro 256MB, $223.50, free FedEx shipping.

Less than $25 more, and a strong possibility of a R360 flashable to a real deal XT w/ Overdrive and temp monitoring. My Sapphire (looks exactly like this one) flashed flawlessly.

The R350 is purported to OC higher than the R360, but lacks temp monitoring when flashed.

I don't think I'd even really consider the SE... (my opinion).

Of course, if you can hold off and save up a bit more, there's the X800's.... By the time you saved up the difference, they might come down in price a bit to meet you. ;)

My $.02

sagitta85

Mr B said:
Myself, I'd consider this card at newegg... http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-361&depa=1

Less than $25 more, and a strong possibility of a R360 flashable to a real deal XT w/ Overdrive and temp monitoring. My Sapphire (looks exactly like this one) flashed flawlessly.

The R350 is purported to OC higher than the R360, but lacks temp monitoring when flashed.

Of course, if you can hold off and save up a bit more, there's the X800's.... By the time you saved up the difference, they might come down in price a bit to meet you. ;)

My $.02

I have that card there. ATI Tool says R350, but I can just overclock it to XT speed. My speeds are Core 413 and Memory 660 (330x2). My memory seems to can't go past 330 when I use ATI Tool.

Ha_hA_HA!

sagitta85 said:
I have that card there. ATI Tool says R350, but I can just overclock it to XT speed. My speeds are Core 413 and Memory 660 (330x2). My memory seems to can't go past 330 when I use ATI Tool.

I think ATI Tool is just reading your cards bios. The only way (that I know of) to tell for sure what core you have is to remove the heatsink, clean off the thermal paste, and read what is printed on the core.

If you are going to do that, you are either going to have to be very careful not to damage the pins for the heatsink (so you can replace it), or have another one ready (like the VGA Silencer).

If you do have the 360 core, you can flash it with the XT bios and you will get much better performance and higher clock speed out of it. In that case, you should get a new heatsink for it anyway, and you might want to look into RAM sinks for the BGA RAM, it will let you oc the RAM a bit better.

I got both a VGA silencer and ram sinks for under $20, and for me it was worth it.

=ACID RAIN=

Mr B said:

My $.02

It says $265, not $223...?

lilxvietxboi

never get a se.. i like built by ati's but thats just my opinion.. and i say get a r9800pro