• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need advice on A64 setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
isnt for me but a freind at another forums.i gave him all the intel advice so he can compare which one he wants.hes leaning towards amd so i need the best advice for him as i dont have this info myself.

he needs a mobo,A64 cpu,and ram,heatsink.
$500 is spending limit and he has the rest of the parts.

should be a 250GB most likley or via if you suggest its better.
he does oc some but not hardcore so he wont be doing voltmods.

also 2x256mb ram is fine and preferabley not high priced like 3700Eb but something just as good.also it needs to match the cpu for best performance so i dont know if high speed pc4000 or lower timings 3200 is better.

ty

Damn! That title had me thinking you were back in here with your tail between your legs, traitor! :D j/k j/k

I'd say probably a 3000+ paired with a Chaintech VNF3-250. It's a non-GB, but overclocks and does very well. Add an Thermalright SLK948U to that, and pick out some high-airflow fan. If he's noise-conscious, then definitely opt for the Zalman CNPS 7000Cu. Don't go with the Thermalright unless you give it at least 50 or so CFM as a rule of thumb.

I always prefer low speed/low latency, on any and every platform. But with 2x256, everything clocks very well on A64's. OCZ anything EB would be my recommendation, but I know that you know your way around memory enough to leave it up to your discretion. ;) The other stuff leaves about $150 for the memory with that budget, so just about anything should be manageable. High speed memory wouldn't be a bad idea, I'd just want it to be past 280, otherwise the low latency can win out pretty easy in plenty of tasks.

And read this when it all gets there.

Last edited:
Gautam said:
Damn! That title had me thinking you were back in here with your tail between your legs, traitor! :D j/k j/k

I'd say probably a 3000+ paired with a Chaintech VNF3-250. It's a non-GB, but overclocks and does very well. Add an Thermalright SLK948U to that, and pick out some high-airflow fan. If he's noise-conscious, then definitely opt for the Zalman CNPS 7000Cu. Don't go with the Thermalright unless you give it at least 50 or so CFM as a rule of thumb.

I always prefer low speed/low latency, on any and every platform. But with 2x256, everything clocks very well on A64's. OCZ anything EB would be my recommendation, but I know that you know your way around memory enough to leave it up to your discretion. ;) The other stuff leaves about $150 for the memory with that budget, so just about anything should be manageable. High speed memory wouldn't be a bad idea, I'd just want it to be past 280, otherwise the low latency can win out pretty easy in plenty of tasks.

Wow.. I was GOING to reply, but it looks like you've got everything covered! Great post, good info, and good luck to your friend, Gautam

Gautam said:

The 3000+ in his post is the worst A64 CPU one would get at this time. It is an old C0 revision. OPN end with AP. With only 512 KB L2.

Should get

a CG revision 3000+ mobile (1.4V or DTR) ClawHammer with 1 MB L2 x9 multiplier, around $230.
3000+: AMA3000BEX5AR 1.5V (CG rev, F4Ah) <- ClawHammer, 1 MB L2, 1.8 GHz, x9 or
3000+: AMN3000BIX5AR 1.4V (CG rev, F4Ah) <- ClawHammer, 1 MB L2, 1.8 GHz x9 or

a CG revision 2800+ mobile 1.4V ClawHammer with 1 MB L2 x8 multiplier, around $180 but may lose about 100 MHz due to lower multiplier.
2800+: AMN2800BIX5AR 1.4V (CG rev, F4Ah) <- ClawHammer, 1 MB L2, 1.6 GHz x8
(for lowest CPU price) or

a CG revision 3000+ mobile DTR NewCastle with 512 KB L2 x10 mutiplier.
3000+: ADA3000AEP4AX 1.5V (CG rev, FC0h) <- NewCastle, 512 KB L2, 2.0 GHz, x10
(if aiming at highest CPU frequency overclocking).

940, 754, 939 CPU models and specifications

If not wanting a mobile 1.4V A64, there are 3200+ mobile DTR or desktop 3200+, both are also CG revision, but more money.

Last edited:
I think you mean a C0 ClawHammer with half the cache disabled, because that's what it is, not a NewCastle. There are no C0 newcastles, they started from CG.

deathstar13>> You're looking for a chip which OPN number has to end with either AR or AX, the AR means a CG stepping ClawHammer and the AX means a NewCastle

hitechjb1 said:
The 3000+ in his post is the worst A64 CPU one would get at this time. It is an old C0 revision New Castle. OPN end with AP. With only 512 KB L2.

Should get
a CG revision 3000+ mobile ClawHammer with 1 MB L2 x9 multiplier.

If not wanting a mobile A64, there are 3200+ DTR or desktop 3200+, both are also CG revision, but more money.
I have my reasons. ;)

Currently, the mobiles are appearing to be too much of a headache for me to recommend. I hear issues up and down with every single board out there it seems. The C0 Clawhammers hit a solid 2.3GHz, fast enough for all practical purposes, even with the cache deficit. Sometimes practicality overrides overclockability. From the looks of it, his friend wants a no-headache solution that he can do some casual playing around with as well. With the mobiles, you run into a host of problems; BIOS conflicts, heatsink conflicts, this and that. For someone new on the scene, a few hundred MHz and 512k of cache is well worth the peace of mind, IMHO. Also, Newegg's OPN codes often don't match the actual processor these days. A CG Newcastle wouldn't be out of the question, in fact, it's what I'd expect would be shipped at this point in time.

ok guys thats for the info!

nah wont be seeing me back for a while at least.
its not my rig so if he wants amd he gets amd.

btw im getting 34sec superpi now and about to drop a new 3.2E DO in about 2 weeks.
should see 31-32 seconds then.
will impveove mainly do to being able to run 1:1 again 265fsb and +4.5ghz :)
we will see tho.

If I had a Prommy, you'd have trouble. ;)

Can't wait. If they can pull off 4.2 on air, what they will do in your hands, God knows. :thup: Good luck with your and your friend's systems.

Blah I thanked you in the folding section for your help deathstar now get your A$$ back overhere soon LOL. I know this is a amd thread but what would you say the best intel mobo and cpu is best bang for the buck? I really enjoyed the time's you help other everyone over here to bad you have to be on the other side now.

Last edited:
jonspd said:
Blah I thanked you in the folding section for your help deathstar now get your A$$ back overhere soon LOL. I know this is a amd thread but what would you say the best intel mobo and cpu is best bang for the buck? I really enjoyed the time's you help other everyone over here to bad you have to be on the other side now.
yeh but we have naked dancers in the intel section so im staying put :)

air cooled: bang is the abit ai7 and 2.8c-3.0C
h20 or prommy: abit ic7 and 2.8-3.0E prescotts

i do miss alot of the friends i made here.plus the intel section can be slow and boring as hell.
ill come back over when i can buy a 939 cpu for $200 :)

Why do you say the AI7 over the ic7 for air vers prommy? If there's naked dancers over there I might have to jump ship over here LOL. Yes I'am still waitng for a good 3200 or 3400 a64 to get below 200$ before I upgrade.

I alway's liked the ic7 as far as bang for buck. I did read the post you made about the c's do better on air then the e's when extremely overclocked.

the ai7 has better vdimm options 3.2v i think,and should only be used with a C
the ai7 isnt strong enough power wise to handle a prescott.

but if you dont need much vdimm get an ic7 for $10 more.
i dont suggest a prescott to be run on air. its just too hot when oced and requires more voltage the hotter it gets so its a bad downward spiral at a certain point.

put a precott on h20 or a prommy it oc's circles around the C's and even out performs it.

Back