• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice on notebook computer...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Patrick G

I've built the 3 different desktop systems I have owned myself, but want to purchase a notebook now (you can't really build those yourself, right?). So, does anyone know of any sites that have notebooks at great prices (new or used), besides eBay? Any advice on getting a notebook? I'd like to spend < $1500, and prefer a used or refurbished model in order to get more for my money. What features should I be looking for in the $1500 or under range? Thanks in advance!

I'm also on a cable internet connection at home. So, what would I need in order for my notebook to use that connection?

Most notebooks have built in NIC, so buy a network hub/switch/router and some CAT5 cables you are ready to go.

As for the notebook, $1500 can get you a very nice one. At this price range I won't consider a used one. If you want to play safe choose a Dell, the cyber deal section on this forum has a post that can save you $200 on Dell notebooks, dunno if it has expired

How much will you be using it? If you have a PC at home and don't spend hours doing nothing between classes (mostly students want notebooks) then almost any notebook PC will do fine -- basically I'm thinking homework.

You should look for something that can handle the work you're going to put on it. All I can think of for notebook users is powerpoint presentations, word, and perhaps programming.

afaik, a game machine is at the very top of the price you quoted and you'll be way over after tax, an extra battery, case, etc. Look for something with a GF Go or Radeon Mobility if that's what you need.

Back