• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEED ADVICE VERY QUICKLY!!!!!!! Get rid of AMD for P4/RAMBUS for under $200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i810 Forever

Right now in front of me I have:
AMD Athlon XP 1600+ AGOIA Y
256MB Mushkin PC-3200

...and that combo needs a mobo.

Or I can sell both of those parts and get:

Abit TH7-II (refurb) $35
4x128MB RK-Byte PC-800 (looks like Sammy chips)- for $40! :eek:
P4 1.6A ~ $110

Thats a good mobo, 512MB RAMBUS, P4 (should hit at least 2.13Ghz, right?) for under $200! :eek:

Should I sell my AMD parts and jump for those parts for a P4?? Need to order ASAP, quick advice greatly appreciated!!

OP
i810 Forever

i810 Forever

Thanks for the quick reply!

How much faster would the P4 be than the AMD setup? :confused:

AZN

AznSniper
2.4ghz minimum ;) and with the RD ram u will own. with a decent HSF u should be looking at 1ghz OC. thats a good deal tell me where it is so i can buy it before u ;)

AZN

jazztrumpet216

Senior @ss
With 4 rimms though, it might be a bit of stress on the memory controller. What's the week on the AMD chip? Those AGOIA-Y's can hit 1.8-1.9GHz with good cooling, so depending on the setup you have I'd actually stick with the AMD. Or you can sell the chip to me and get the Intel, lol.

skou

Yeah, who's got that memory? Or is it a friend selling. That's a killer deal!:drool:

steve

Goo Kenson

Reccommending any pentium 4 A chip over a 1600+ AGOIA is a clear, unmasked bias. Look at any benchmarks, man.

If you're going to drop your AMD system, the absolute least you should get is a pentium 4 "B" chip. Get that chip with that RAM and you'll have something decent.

larva

Inactive Moderator
Goo Kenson said:
Reccommending any pentium 4 A chip over a 1600+ AGOIA is a clear, unmasked bias. Look at any benchmarks, man.

If you're going to drop your AMD system, the absolute least you should get is a pentium 4 "B" chip. Get that chip with that RAM and you'll have something decent.

Recomendations based on no clearer understanding than this would have to improve to get up to the level of "clear, unmasked bias".

A P4-1.8a is the same damn thing as a 2.4b. 18 multiplier. The fact that intel has entered 133 as the default bus speed rather than 100 changes nothing, other than the fact that you will pay more. My elderly 1.6a runs 162/2600MHz , and will deal with a 1600+... Later 1.8a's are better, 2.7-2.8GHz, and the fresh new C1 stepping 1.8a's have already proven to have the same 3.2GHz+ potential of the C1 2.4b's.

Last edited:

Goo Kenson

larva said:

Recomendations based on no clearer understanding than this would have to improve to get up to the level of "clear, unmasked bias".

A P4-1.8a is the same damn thing as a 2.4b. 18 multiplier. The fact that intel has entered 133 as the default bus speed rather than 100 changes nothing, other than the fact that you will pay more. My elderly 1.6a runs on a 162/2600MHz , and will deal with a 1600+... Later 1.8a's are better, 2.7-2.8GHz, and the fresh new C1 stepping 1.8a's have already proven to have the same 3.2GHz+ potential of the C1 2.4b's.

The difference between A and B is L2 cache.

skou

Goo, the difference between woody and willy is L2 cache. The A and B both have the same cache.

steve

Buzzdog

The difference between the northwood a and b chips is the stock fsb. The a chips are at 100MHz fsb the b chps are at 133MHz fsb. The reason they included the a and b designations was to differentiate between the 2.4a (24 multiplier at 100MHz fsb) and the 2.4b (18 multiplier at 133MHz fsb). This is just one example. Some chips do not have the designation, example the 2.26. It is the only PIV chip to still have the 17 multiplier and I highley doubt that Intel will ever put a 22.6 multiplier on a CPU :p

Buzzdog

skou

Who can install the 533 DRCGs? I have 2 sets of them, but I don't have the equipment to install them.

steve

Buzzdog

The TH7 has issues using 1066 Rdram. Go to the Intel Abit forums and do a search. The only way I have read that you can use 1066 sticks is to first set the system up with 800 sticks then switch them out with the 1066s. If you have to reset your cmos then you have to go through the process again. So if you do switch to the 1066s make sure you keep the 800s around just incase.

Buzzdog