• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadowlid

Ok me and my dad are building a new cooling system almost have everything that we need to get started. But the old computer we had to try it on will not overclock high enough to get the temps even close to overheating. So I need a list of a good cheap motherboard /Amd cpu bundle. That is capable of being overclocked a good bit. Bare in mind this may blow up in of faces and fry the board/cpu so I’m not looking to buy a AMD X4 965 or anything. For example a good dual core chip that can be overclocked at least 1.0ghz above the stock speed. And a cheap motherboard we can replace if it blows up. Pretty much any thing that will heat up is what I am looking for.
Thanks in advance.
Shadow

Bluefalcon13

If you really wanna just test the thermal-dynamics of the cooler, start upping the voltage, without bumping the clocks any, you should hit the CPUs thermal wall soon enough

OP
S

Shadowlid

well i cant find a program that will read the cpu temps. Its a old chip/ mother board.

Last edited:

Xtreme Barton

If you really wanna just test the thermal-dynamics of the cooler, start upping the voltage, without bumping the clocks any, you should hit the CPUs thermal wall soon enough
you could also easy fry it too .. what kind of mobo is it that you already have ? you could remove a bit of thermal paste and that would prob raise the temps .. with addition to volts youd probably be cooking in no time .. obviously be cautious and figure out the max on temp and volts should be first

Bluefalcon13

well, removing the TIM doesnt help determining if you have a good cooler or not. best thing to do is OC the chip as much as you can, and slowly bump the voltage up, even if its not really productive (aka even if you cant still bump clocks up). if you are using something supported by coretemp, I recommend you use coretemp to check your temps in the first place. A good way to check your coolers performance, would be using the stock cooler and attempting to OC it, then starting over with your new cooler. What CPU would you be attempting this on? What socket/slot does it use? If its the rig in your sig, I wouldnt recommend going over the generally accepted max air voltage... and you should be able to use coretemp to view your CPUs core temps by core.

Xtreme Barton

i must have misunderstood then .. because i was thinking he was having problems even getting it to heat up at all .. so thats why i suggested a little less TP .. i figured it would make the heatsink hotter :bang head but no no no .. just your cpu ..lol ..scratch that idea .. i have a overclockers.com screen burn in issue in my brain thats why im not seeing things clearly :D

OP
S

Shadowlid

I am doing this on a old pcchips mother board. And a old Athlon xp 2100+.
I tried core temp and it would not read the cpu temp. The only way i can read it is if i check the bios under pc health. So i think i will just buy a old intel chip or somthing and just try and shoot it up.

In your personal opinion what would be the biggest shock to see cooled down?
I really cant say what are plans are because as far as i know no one has ever done this or produced something like this so if it works we are thinking of getting a patient. But it could also blow up in of faces and blow up well see!!!

Xtreme Barton

well your already competing against current makers so your design will probably have to be cool (major pun) ..

i didnt think the old pc chips mobo's overclocked ? and i think you may want to get a temp sensor then so you dont have to go to bios to read temps

OP
S

Shadowlid

You can only turn up the fsb. From 133 to 166.:cry:

Where can i buy one of those? I looked on new egg and could not find one.

theflyingrat

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999198

Something like that might help you out. This one has 4 temperature diodes that you can stick wherever you want, as long as the cord reaches and as long as there's something to stick them to. However, you won't be able to get the diode directly on the die of an Athlon XP; you'd need to just stick it up as closely to a CPU die as you could.

Some folks will route a channel into the IHS on a modern CPU and stick thermal diodes onto them, too. It all depends on what sort of mounting job you'll need to do to get a good reading.

For the CPU you're using now (XP 2100+), there's no accurate on-die temperature reading. A newer Intel CPU with an IHS and accurate on-die thermistor will be the best test rig for something like this. An 800-series Pentium D or Prescott Pentium 4 should run very hot, and allow you to read on-die temperatures with nearly any software utility out there. There are plenty of LGA775 motherboards out there that will let you tweak the CPU and overvolt it to death if you so choose. I guess when I think of testing something that you may potentially want to patent, having a good testbed to verify your test results with is far more important than saving a couple hundred bucks...

Xtreme Barton

dude its crazy .. but ill tell you a secret .. look other places than the egg .. i was once trapped between this site and newegg .. i could only go to one or the other .. and then finally i re-booted myself and found many more stores .. i surfed and surfed man i felt like a new man !! (jk'ing :D )