• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need an ATI card for HTPC...advice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xbiker321

I need an ATI card capable of 1080p via HDMI (obviously have to use the DVI to HDMI adaptor)

I was thinking of the HD3650, I mainly just want it to play 1080p videos on my TV...will not be used for gaming...just Movies and TV Shows off my hard drive.

Perhaps the HD3450 would be just fine? I will be using my Shuttle SN25P Small Form Factor in my sig (not using the Audigy or 7800gtx though)

AngelfireUk83

I am getting one for those cards as I bought a DVI to HDMI cable thinking my 6600GT would let me attach my 26" HDTV to it and get rid of my desk and chair to create some space in my room. It was giving me problems as it would not let me customize the resolution to my HDTV it does 1366x768 max but the NV control panel was setting it to 1660x1560 and it was giving an "OUT OF RANGE".

It would not let me change it or create a custom one as it would fail on the TEST bit my friend has a X800 card and it worked straight away once the drivers where installed. ATi seem to the best when it comes to attaching PC's to HDTV's.

The card I am getting is the Sapphire 3650 256mb PCI-E Card for £55

vt420

3450 is plenty for movies and what not, heck if you don't already have the board, the 780G chipset's onboard video will decode BR

3650 is way overkill for htpc and will make more noise and heat, most 3450's are passive

Jeff

OP
xbiker321

xbiker321

3450 is plenty for movies and what not, heck if you don't already have the board, the 780G chipset's onboard video will decode BR

3650 is way overkill for htpc and will make more noise and heat, most 3450's are passive

Jeff

same, Im thinking the 3450's...no need to spend the extra money...hopefully it will handle the full 1080p res

NettieZoom

The 8600GTS is a very good choice for a HTPC, MSI and EVGA both make a version with HDMI and have passive cooling.
We have a HTPC made up of the MSI 8600GTS, P5B MB and a C2D E6300 underclocked so i could passive cool it with an old scythe ninja HSF.

Neuromancer

The 8600GTS is a very good choice for a HTPC, MSI and EVGA both make a version with HDMI and have passive cooling.
We have a HTPC made up of the MSI 8600GTS, P5B MB and a C2D E6300 underclocked so i could passive cool it with an old scythe ninja HSF.

Actually the nvidia cards are not good for HTPCs..

There is a review of Avivo vs Purevideo and until you hit the 8800 series... the ATI wins by a landslide... There is no differnce in performance between a 2400 and a 3870 for HD encoding either, unlike the nVidia series

nVidia cards are for gaming. For everything else get an ATI card. Unless the comparable nVida card is cheaper :)

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?id=2478&cid=3&pg=5

OP
xbiker321

xbiker321

^Yeah I've used both NVidia and ATI cards throughout my day and ATI is where its at. I think I've made my decision on the very affordable 3450. Thanks guys. :)

Cheator

Don't know if its too late to help but my 3450 does 1080i just fine. The 3450 is a nice little card and you can't argue for the price.

mkoersvelt

Don't know if its too late to help but my 3450 does 1080i just fine. The 3450 is a nice little card and you can't argue for the price.

I'm looking at the 3450 as well.
The specs look decent. If it can run 1080p I'm in!!!
I'd go for the top ones but why spend the $$ if your not going to utilize the cards potential.:attn:

Cheator

Hm.. actually i am getting some video issues on playing 720p videos on it.. but i think it might be my cpu. When i play the thing at 720p in x264 fomat, the fast motion in the video lags...

OP
xbiker321

xbiker321

Hm.. actually i am getting some video issues on playing 720p videos on it.. but i think it might be my cpu. When i play the thing at 720p in x264 fomat, the fast motion in the video lags...

uh oh, thats what I am worried about, playing 720p, 1080p x264 video and having it lag...dang, I guess I just have to bite the bullet and get the video card and try it out.

EDIT: I looked at your specs for your htpc and they are close to my shuttle xpc which is what I will be using for my htpc so I might have some problems :(

Neuromancer

uh oh, thats what I am worried about, playing 720p, 1080p x264 video and having it lag...dang, I guess I just have to bite the bullet and get the video card and try it out.

EDIT: I looked at your specs for your htpc and they are close to my shuttle xpc which is what I will be using for my htpc so I might have some problems :(

With the right software it will not be an issue. IF you intend to use FFDSHow then a good CPU is going to be required (upscaling to 720p takes 25% CPU of a 3.4GHz conroe this is just something i notice on my PC).

I believe powerdvd uses avivo (gpu) for upscaling and so you will get the same performance with a 3450 as you would with a 3870x2... I have not tried this myself but it is something I am going to look into for my HTPC when I have the time in a couple of weeks. (I am using a 2600pro).

You can always rencode your Bluray/HD and DVD rips into a format that is compatible with the avivo software :)

OP
xbiker321

xbiker321

With the right software it will not be an issue. IF you intend to use FFDSHow then a good CPU is going to be required (upscaling to 720p takes 25% CPU of a 3.4GHz conroe this is just something i notice on my PC).

I believe powerdvd uses avivo (gpu) for upscaling and so you will get the same performance with a 3450 as you would with a 3870x2... I have not tried this myself but it is something I am going to look into for my HTPC when I have the time in a couple of weeks. (I am using a 2600pro).

You can always rencode your Bluray/HD and DVD rips into a format that is compatible with the avivo software :)

Well I will be using 1080p, some 720p, so I'll have to look around at various software. Right now I don't have much, VLC Player.

GreenJelly

come on, the Radeon HD 2600xt at $50 with duel DVI's outs (HDMI) will do the h.264 encoding with no problem, and it is passive cooling. I think you can even go with the lower 2XXX serries with no problem on BR MPEG4...

A 3XXX series is a bit much, but if you want go have fun!