• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Confirmation on BSEL pad mod for e4300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bryan_d

Hello all,

I bought my father the $150.00 Fry's P4800M/E4300 Combo, and was hoping to mod it to boot at a default of 1066FSB instead of the 800FSB.

I have been reading a bunch of pages on BSEL modding but I am still not 100% sure of what I should really do.

bryan_d said:
I grabbed some spec sheets from Intel and came up with a few diagrams to help answer my question:

http://i10.tinypic.com/29puc9e.jpg

Basically I need to know which pads I need to isolate or connect. To isolate I would use some electricle tape, and to connect I have both a defogger kit and a Conductive Ink Pen.

From what I read, I should just connect BSEL1 to BSEL2 to achieve the "Low" signal? Is this correct?

All help will be greatly appreciated,

Bryan d

UPDATE

For those new to the thread:

To achieve a stock 1066FSB, connect BSEL1 to VSS with Car Defogger Repair Paint.

Here is a diagram:

2qcjbs3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
bryan_d

bryan_d

Thanks for help Evilsizer,

So BSEL0 and BSEL2 are already set to "Low", meaning that they are connected to Ground right?

If that is the case, I should connect BSEL1 to either, BSEL2 or BSEL 0, to ground it too, right?

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming,

Bryan d

nd4spdbh2

that would seem so... but doesnt that mobo support up to atleast 266 fsb? i kno it does a concievable 300 max and i have seen ppl doing 266 with it no prob.

But it would be pretty sweet if you could do this.

OP
bryan_d

bryan_d

nd4spdbh2 said:
that would seem so... but doesnt that mobo support up to atleast 266 fsb? i kno it does a concievable 300 max and i have seen ppl doing 266 with it no prob.

But it would be pretty sweet if you could do this.

The motherboard does have support for 266MHz with no doubt, but I just want to able to pop it in with the 1066MHz FSB strap, so that the AGP/PCI would all be in line. I read the review at ocworkbench and they stated it had a locked PCI/AGP bus, but now I am reading differently from users on other forums.

By fooling the NB into thinking the CPU is a native 1066FSB, it would rule out any bus issues. I also would not have to fiddle with the BIOS too much.

Guess I will be the guinea pig then?

bryan d

datura3

interesting idea tricking it to use the 1066 strap. subscribed. thanks for trying this for us let us know how it goes.

atlr

Registered
I have been thinking about the same mod for the e4300 on a ecs p4m800pro-m.

The BSEL pins are outputs. I wondering if connecting BSEL1 to BSEL2 might cause some issue with the circuitry that sets their fixed values. BSEL1 could be just not connected internally to result in its High value but who knows for sure.

A way to avoid conencting BSEL1 and BSEL2 directly and still altering the signal sent to the motherboard is to insulate BSEL1 and then create a conductive path from BSEL2 to the BSEL1 position on the top of the aforementioned insulator .

Could adding even a thin layer of conductive material on top of an insulating material alter the fit of the CPU in the 775 socket enough to cause poor pad contact?

I wonder is BSEL[0:2] terminate directly at a clock generator chip and could be altered there.

Really, I wish bus dividers could be manually set in software or BIOS with this board.

nd4spdbh2

bryan_d said:
The motherboard does have support for 266MHz with no doubt, but I just want to able to pop it in with the 1066MHz FSB strap, so that the AGP/PCI would all be in line. I read the review at ocworkbench and they stated it had a locked PCI/AGP bus, but now I am reading differently from users on other forums.

By fooling the NB into thinking the CPU is a native 1066FSB, it would rule out any bus issues. I also would not have to fiddle with the BIOS too much.

Guess I will be the guinea pig then?

bryan d

You have the P4M800Pro - M V2 correct... the agp and pci ARE IN FACT LOCKED on this board... on the P4M800Pro - M V1.0A and earlier the agp and pci are not locked but im almost positive you have the V2 and you should be fine.

and it does look like you could either connect the BSEL2 or 0 to BSEL1 or just connect them all.

atlr

Registered
I also have read both that the AGP/PCI clocks are not locked and that they are locked on V2 boards

Would Sandra Lite shed light on this subject? Run Sandra Lite, click on the Hardware tab and then double-click on the Mainboard icon to show the various bus speeds. An icon along the bottom of this report copies the report to the clipboard so you can copy and paste into the thread.

I am not sure if Sandra queries the clock generator or runs a test. It shows accurate results on my old AMD Thunderbird running on a ABIT KT7A.

http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir=dload&location=sware_dl_3264&langx=en&a=

Last edited:

nd4spdbh2

atlr said:
I also have read both that the AGP/PCI clocks are not locked and that they are locked on V2 boards

Would Sandra Lite shed light on this subject? Run Sandra Lite, click on the Hardware tab and then double-click on the Mainboard icon to show the various bus speeds. I am not sure if Sandra queries the clock generator or runs a test. It shows accurate results on my old AMD Thunderbird running on a ABIT KT7A.

http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir=dload&location=sware_dl_3264&langx=en&a=

ya it would be way cool if someone could actually CONFIRM that the board does or does not have AGP/PCI locks with some program that tells the speeds of thoes buses in realtime...

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
yea connect bsel 1 to bsel 2, a silver pen will not work. need to use a window defrogger kit, can get it at any auto parts store. if you got the balls you could heat up the soldering iron and solder the 2 pads together.

chinky714

hey i got the combo today too, but instead of an OEM cpu they gave me a retail cpu. I tried overclocking the ECS board, it was okay at 285FSB but at 300 the board died and took one of my spare hard drives with it. -___- I will end up putting the E4300 in my DS3 and getting a P5B deluxe for the E6300. =)

OP
bryan_d

bryan_d

chinky714 said:
hey i got the combo today too, but instead of an OEM cpu they gave me a retail cpu. I tried overclocking the ECS board, it was okay at 285FSB but at 300 the board died and took one of my spare hard drives with it. -___- I will end up putting the E4300 in my DS3 and getting a P5B deluxe for the E6300. =)

?!?!? Retail?

Lucky... well you killed the board and HD so maybe it evens out.

So it killed your HD eh? I guess that would mean the PCI/AGP lock was not working? What revision board did you get?

Bryan d

chinky714

bryan_d said:
?!?!? Retail?

Lucky... well you killed the board and HD so maybe it evens out.

So it killed your HD eh? I guess that would mean the PCI/AGP lock was not working? What revision board did you get?

Bryan d

it was a v2 board. Frys changed to deal from OEM to retail on sunday. Don't know if it's the same for all regions of Frys but in socal on Sunday they advertised the Box retail cpu with ECS board for $149.99 well it retail or not it doesn't matter im putting an aftermarket cooler on it. The E4300 will get the Big Typhoon, and the 6300 will need a new cooler. How hard is the Tuniq Tower 120?

OP
bryan_d

bryan_d

Just letting everyone know that the results of the BSEL to 1066MHz will be performed on thursday afternoon and results will be posted as soon as I have access to the net.

Bryan d

PS - I will be buying a defogger kit to connect BSEL1-->BSEL2, wish me luck.

doh0000

Registered
There's a guy who's tried it already but is having mixed results.

Here's the forum site

I just used an online translator but if there's any native german speakers, please add resourceful information.

I'm leaving my house right now to pick up a bottle of window defogger kit to try the mod myself.

OP
bryan_d

bryan_d

It seems that not only did he connect BSEL1 and BSEL2, he also isolated BSEL1 by applying the tape over the pad.

Here is a pic:

2z5585y.jpg

When he/she did this, the CPU still booted at 800FSB, so now I am wondering if maybe the he should just have left BSEL1 exposed?

Interesting doh, thanks for the link.

bryan d

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
the pin in the socket needs to read that bsel as low. with the tape on top the pin can not read the pad there for the 800mhz, as it is seeing it as high. this is the same as some with pinned cpu's. either breaking them or slighlty bent so that the pin does not get read. the board is then tricked into thinking it is a different fsb cpu.