• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need cooler for i7 4790k using Extreme 4 with 4 sticks of Trident-X RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, it does indeed feel like a quality piece. Not much progress, had to shove off to work. The opening in the case behind the CPU isn't cutout enough to access all 4 mounting screws....:confused: So I had to pull the MB which took a little time.

The cooler appears to have plenty of room above the RAM even with the heat spreaders. So much for keeping a black and blue theme inside the case.....the Trident comes with red heat sinks and the cooler resembles mashed potatoes and gravy....will look like a Thanksgiving dinner plate when I'm done but that's fine I guess.

Just pop the top off of the Trident X, then you're all black.
It unscrews, easy peasy.

I thought about that, but I think this cooler will just cover them up anyway...prob won't see any of them...lol.

So far so good, idle temps are 26 deg..I could have lowered the rear (right side) fan a little if I removed 2 of the heat spreaders but the lower portion of the fan still gets the lower part of the cooler so no problems. The case fan inline with the cooler may or may not be able to keep up with the airflow, I can check that later with a smoker. I want to be sure there's not an area of higher pressure restricting the air from the closest cooler manifold. Worst case I could upgrade that case fan but I'm thinking it's not going to be a big deal and likely not even an issue....just overthinking it I guess.

The D15 definitely adds a different color scheme, but I'm more for function over form in this regard. Thanks for the push for the Noctua...no regrets. :thup:

Attachments

• CA2_3714.jpg
    CA2_3714.jpg
    631.4 KB · Views: 37
  • CA2_3719.jpg
    CA2_3719.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 41
  • D15-2.jpg
    D15-2.jpg
    862.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20160217_094345s.jpg
    20160217_094345s.jpg
    513.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 20160217_100826-1.jpg
    20160217_100826-1.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 40
Thanks...yeah, the colors are growing on me and I'm a sucker for mashed potatoes and gravy....:)

I ran a couple renders, 60% CPU usage it hit 37 deg, 95-100% it hit 42 deg, wayyy down from 67 deg. :thup: :beer:

67 deg was stock, no OC, no turbo. Need to hit the sack.....I'll get to start the OC tomorrow or maybe tonight a little.

Looks good, don't worry about the colors in a few months you wont even look at it.:)

Last edited:
Back