• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need critique for new build plz.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gravitywell

The last time I built a PC was in 2014 (in sig), things seemed to have changed a lot... while also staying pretty much the same. There's new technology I'm unsure of, but here is my proposed listed of components for now. There are things I'll upgrade / expand into, but for now this is what I'm looking at to "get started":

CPU
Intel Core i9-12900K 2.4 GHz 16-Core Processor

CPU Cooler
be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black CPU Cooler

Motherboard
Asus ROG STRIX Z690-G GAMING WIFI Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard

Memory (updated)
G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory

Storage
SK Hynix Platinum P41 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Case
Lian Li O11 Mini

Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA G6 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

GPU
<no pick yet. my immediate need is productivity and web use. will source a GPU at a later time, but open to suggestions>

--------------------------------

Discussions points / questions:

1) CPU coolers: The AIO's look interesting, but I have no idea what I'm shopping for here. VERY open to suggestions. I just picked a 'good looking' air cooler. plz halp
2) Case: I like the look of this smaller mid-tower case from Microcenter. The price is $60. But I don't know if there is a better value out there. Would like to keep a smaller footprint if possible. Very open to suggestions
3) Processor:, I've contemplated dropped down to the 12700k and saving roughly $150.
4) RAM: I poked around PC Part Picker and went with the most "cost effective", low Cas ram I could find in the 32g size. Open to suggestions / critique.
5) Storage: going with a 1gb NVME for now. Will eventually get a second drive (2TB+) for storage down the road.
5b) Storage: do I need a heatsink for installing an NVME on this board? do I need to remove it?
6) GPU: not buying one right away, but love to talk / discuss. I might be convinced to get something sooner than later. My current monitor is a 1080p freesync Samsung. Nothing grand. Will also need a better monitor down the road.
7) Windows 11... home or pro? Is there an inexpensive way to get this that doesn't cost me over $100?

Last edited:
I’m not sure about many of the latest Intel models, but I’m fairly certain that the ”F” designates there is no integrated GPU in the CPU. You’ll need either a different CPU model or a graphic card for video output.
Ah, very good point. I completely didn't notice the K vs F designation! updated

1) CPU coolers: The AIO's look interesting, but I have no idea what I'm shopping for here. VERY open to suggestions. I just picked a 'good looking' air cooler. plz halp
2) Case: I like the look of this smaller mid-tower case from Microcenter. The price is $60. But I don't know if there is a better value out there. Would like to keep a smaller footprint if possible. Very open to suggestions
3) Processor:, I've contemplated dropped down to the 12700k and saving roughly $150.
4) RAM: I poked around PC Part Picker and went with the most "cost effective", low Cas ram I could find in the 32g size. Open to suggestions / critique.
5) Storage: going with a 1gb NVME for now. Will eventually get a second drive (2TB+) for storage down the road.
5b) Storage: do I need a heatsink for installing an NVME on this board? do I need to remove it?
6) GPU: not buying one right away, but love to talk / discuss. I might be convinced to get something sooner than later. My current monitor is a 1080p freesync Samsung. Nothing grand. Will also need a better monitor down the road.
7) Windows 11... home or pro? Is there an inexpensive way to get this that doesn't cost me over $100?
1. For a 12900K, I wouldn't go anything less than a 2x140mm or 3x120mm AIO. Generally, they perform similarly, so it's a matter of appearance and preference.

2. A case for that budget, I have no idea. You won't get much in the way of bells and whistles though.

3. Go for it... unless you use heavily multi-threaded things frequently?

4. For a new DDR5 build, you're going to want to be around the DDR5-6000 area with the lowest CL rating (30 or so).

5. Ok...

6. Even if the CPU you choose has integrated graphics, you're not playing anything but web games... so keep that in mind.

7. Your choice. Can you use the features in Pro? Get Pro... if not, Home is fine. Go to URCDkeys.com. Just be ready to install the OS ASAP after you purchase the key.

1. For a 12900K, I wouldn't go anything less than a 2x140mm or 3x120mm AIO. Generally, they perform similarly, so it's a matter of appearance and preference.

2. A case for that budget, I have no idea. You won't get much in the way of bells and whistles though.

3. Go for it... unless you use heavily multi-threaded things frequently?

4. For a new DDR5 build, you're going to want to be around the DDR5-6000 area with the lowest CL rating (30 or so).

5. Ok...

6. Even if the CPU you choose has integrated graphics, you're not playing anything but web games... so keep that in mind.

7. Your choice. Can you use the features in Pro? Get Pro... if not, Home is fine. Go to URCDkeys.com. Just be ready to install the OS ASAP after you purchase the key.

5b. The motherboard has 3 NVME slots & built-in heatsinks for all 3, so you won't need to buy separate heatsinks for the drives or drives with included heatsinks.

Thank you both so much. I learned a lot!

I updated the ram to the 6000 CL30 version.

Now I'm researching micro-cases (no real budget, just want something good) and AIO coolers. There seems to be a huge price difference in some of these that goes beyond RBG.

Back