• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need good NB cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jbox33

I'm looking for a good NB HSF and need some ideas. It can't be any larger than a stock cooler however because I have the MCX462 HS on my CPU and the north bridge is too close on the Shuttle AK35GTR to put anything larger there.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Just about any square heatsink for older processors (because thy're smaller to start with) can be cut to the size you need with a hacksaw and epoxied on.

Zalman (sp?) makes a nice one that's pretty big, but doesn't come with a fan on it. If you are creative, I'm sure you can come up with something.

I would rather have one that I could use the mounting holes with. I was planning on using ASII and bolting it on with nylon bolts so I could get good contact.

Any ideas in this direction?

Yea I saw that one Shroomer. I was just hoping that there was something better out there that I could use other than a NB WB.

I'm not into the water cooling thing yet. Oh well. Thanks anyway. I'll have to find a HS I can modify for mounting.

will a crystal orb fit your NB. Many have used it for that and i plan on doing the same thing.

It can't be any larger than a stock cooler however because I have the MCX462 HS on my CPU and the north bridge is too close on the Shuttle AK35GTR to put anything larger there.

Didn't want to repeat it so I just quoted myself.

In fact I had to modify the current NB HS just so I could mount the MCX462 heatsink.

The link that I posted has nothing to do with watercooling. It's a heatsink designed to go on a NB.

(edit)
After reading that again, I now understand. Why is that one so bad? It's the same size as the northbridge, but is MUCH higher than a normal NB HSF. Just slap a 40mm fan on and you're good to go!

Zalman now makes an all-copper chipset cooler that looks very effective. I don't know where to get it, but I haven't looked either... :p

Ok I found it here .

It's not available yet but will be soon according to their site. Looks promising. Throw a fan on it and I think it will work good. Thanks for the info Ugmore:D

Hmmm... I checked it out again and it looks like it's aluminum. May not be the one you were thinking of but I can't find any others.

Last edited:
Back