• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need GPU & Memory Recommendations for my new build - not just numbers and stats.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BuRgLaR

Need GPU & Memory Recommendations for my new build - not just numbers and stats.

Been looking at a few different cards to meet and beat the tasks I need it for.

1. Play any current game title fully maxed on Ultra and provide a minimum 60 FPS
2. Deal with heavy duty 3D/4D production/creation and video encoding through 3D Studio Max/Maya/AutoCAD/ Adobe After Effects/ Cinema 4D
3. Work well for use in development for the Oculus Rift DK2 for 3D/4D creation & playback
4. Is under $400 USD unless the single card performance boost is that great in which I will consider a higher price.

I am considering a Crossfire/SLI solution to these needs if a single card isn't up to the task.

A few cards I've been eyeballing

HIS iPower IceQ X² Radeon R9 290X
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4161457&cm_re=HIS_290x-_-14-161-457-_-Product $359.99

Specs on the card look good but I've heard sketchy things about HIS cards and overheating. Need real world experience recommendations and not just opinions.

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Superclocked 4GB $349.99

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Classified 4GB $699.99

Now the 980 I have been eyeballing since release but is an extra $350 going to net me that much more of a performance gain?

With my current hardware/ PSU and everything would you guys suggest a single card setup or a SLI/Crossfire build.

Money I got but performance I desire for cheap.

Last easy straightforward question.

What DDR3 4x8GB 2133 Mhz Ram would you recommend for my build? I've been considering Corsair Dominator Platinum but at $259 for just 16GB I think my money would be dumped somewhere else better like a vid card.

As always all suggestions are welcome and appreciated :) Thanks

My rig

Cooler Master HAF-X Blue Edition
AMD FX-8320 @ 4.0GHZ
G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz 4GB
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
ASUS M5A99X Evo r2.0
EVGA Geforce 550Ti 2GB
Corsair HX 1050 PSU
PNY Optima 120GB SSD
WD Black 3TB SATA - Storage
WD Green 2TB SATA - Storage
WD Green 640 GB - Storage
WD Blue 500GB - Storage
Cooler Master Mega-Flow 200mm x4
Cooler Master Mega Flow 230mm x1
Windows 8.1 64 Bit

Last edited:
For production/creation you may want to get a Quadro or FirePro. I'm not familiar with those programs, but many design programs have features that only work on pro cards.

They are much more expensive, though.

My primary use will be for gaming but my #2 will be for Oculus & 3d Development.

Any of the cards I listed up to the task?

From the Oculus website.
Recommended specifications: A desktop computer running a dedicated graphics card with DVI-D or HDMI graphics output, with capability of running current generation 3D games at 1080p resolution at 75fps or higher.

I would get a 970 for now and then sell it and buy the rumored 980ti when it comes out.

Your CPU is going to be the limiting factor in things.

My primary use will be for gaming but my #2 will be for Oculus & 3d Development.

Any of the cards I listed up to the task?

In that case I would recommend the 970 also. The improvement you get for 980 is not worth the doubling in price.

I have no experience with AMD GPUs, so I have no idea about the 290X.

Back