• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need guidance on first build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shootingblanks

Got my case w/ removable motherboard tray, Asus P4C800 e deluxe, p42.8c, sp-94, 92mm fan, and 2 wd raptor drives. I installed the two drives without a antistatic band and am hoping I didn't damage these drives. Now when I install my cpu in the motherboard I was going to lie my removable tray on an antistatic bag on top of cardboard. I was going to buy an antistatic band and clip it to my removable tray before touching the cpu. Am I headed in the right direction, and I hope I didnt damage my raptor drives. Next week Im getting 1 gig of corsair dd4000 pro memory and vantec 520w power supply. Hope to have other parts in a month, so does it hurt to install the cpu, mobo, heatsink on removable tray and install the pieces as I get them or would you just wait till I had all the parts?

That is not going to work as your tray isn't grounded. What I always do is put in psu, plug it in to a grounded three prong socket, then touch the case to ground myself out. If your going to us an anti-static strap you need to ground it to something that is grounded.

Just have your PSU plugged in and have the antistatic wristband clip attached to the computers case. You could just have the clip attached top one of the fins of the grill where the air enters the PSU making sure it is not touching any of the parts inside the PSU or the metal clip could short out something in there.

Craig

Back